Best Sail Of The Season

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

JWSutcliffe

Best Sail Of The Season

Post by JWSutcliffe »

Today was a spectacular day of sailing, probably the best of the season. Perfect conditions, and a prime example of why I love sailing a Cape Dory - a good 15 mile sail upwind in 15 knot breeze, helm locked and such good sail balance I had no need to touch the helm nearly the whole time.
Skip Sutcliffe
CD31 Oryx
Jim Walsh

Re: Best Sail Of The Season

Post by Jim Walsh »

It was very pleasant. I sailed out of Block Island, made two tacks, and continued to Dutch Harbor on Conanicut in 17 to 20 knot winds. It's about a 20 mile trip. I was near or exceeding hull speed the entire time. I also had the benefit of a freshly scrubbed bottom. The boats, not mine. :D
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

20 miles motoring yesterday. Saturday though, we had a magnificent sail to Scituate. Wind NE at 15 kts, which gave us a two hour beat out of Boston Harbor, but then it's a series of gentle right turns. Close and broad reaching, the last ten miles were at 6 knots or better.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
s2sailorlis

Post by s2sailorlis »

Sunday was very nice on Long Island Sound off Bridgeport with a fairly steady 10 knot breeze mid-day which is unusual for these parts this time of day/year....a friend sailed past and captured me working to windward...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Excuse auto-correct typos courtesy of iOS...or simply lazy typing
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

s2sailorlis wrote:Sunday was very nice on Long Island Sound off Bridgeport with a fairly steady 10 knot breeze mid-day which is unusual for these parts this time of day/year....a friend sailed past and captured me working to windward...
You're lucky! It's rare to get a great picture like that of your own boat! I got this one by email compliments of John Ring following a trip from Salem to Boston. http://bostonsailors.blogspot.com/
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
c1josh

Post by c1josh »

Neil,

You sailed to Scituate Saturday? We must have passed each other. My wife, son and I, on our CD25 'Sunset' were returning to Boston from Scituate on Saturday and YES, that was a great day to sail.

Josh
Neil Gordon

Post by Neil Gordon »

c1josh wrote:Neil,

You sailed to Scituate Saturday? We must have passed each other. My wife, son and I, on our CD25 'Sunset' were returning to Boston from Scituate on Saturday and YES, that was a great day to sail.

Josh
Nope, didn't see you. We left about 11:30 and passed Harding Ledge about 2:20. It would have been easy to miss you before our last tack towards Harding.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Gary H

Post by Gary H »

Rick,

Great photo - nice looking boat. I notice that you choose to sail from the leeward side and am curious as to your reason. I tend to only sit on the leeward side when the wind is light and I want gravity to help fill the sails.

Gary
Last edited by Gary H on Aug 25th, '14, 20:09, edited 1 time in total.
CDSOA Member 1389
pete faga

Post by pete faga »

Josh
Hope Sunset had a nice stay in Scituate
Next stay ask for a mooring in the outer harbor a lot more peaceful
Nice to see a transit 25 come to my 'backyard'
Pete
Neil Gordon

Post by Neil Gordon »

Gary H wrote: I notice that you choose to sail from the leeward side and am curious as to your reason. I tend to only sit on the leeward side when the wind is light and I want gravity to help fill the sails.
As the boats get bigger and heavier, distribution of crew weight has less effect. I tend to sit on the side where I can best watch the traffic. I like the high side but also like being able to see what's otherwise blocked by the genoa.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
s2sailorlis

Post by s2sailorlis »

Thanks Neil, yes I was lucky. If she had her "real camera" vs an iPhone it would have been even better!

Neil Gordon wrote:
s2sailorlis wrote:Sunday was very nice on Long Island Sound off Bridgeport with a fairly steady 10 knot breeze mid-day which is unusual for these parts this time of day/year....a friend sailed past and captured me working to windward...
You're lucky! It's rare to get a great picture like that of your own boat! I got this one by email compliments of John Ring following a trip from Salem to Boston. http://bostonsailors.blogspot.com/

s2sailorlis

Post by s2sailorlis »

Gary

Somehow I missed you post.. Sorry.. Thx the boat passes the 50 foot cosmetic test...the teak is structurally sound but a mess..but totally restorable so that is goodness.

Re leeward position...the conditions that day were about 8-12 knots true. Mostly around 10. When it did get to 12 I moved to windward to lessen the weather helm..my last boat was incredibly balanced in 12-15 knots...finger-tip tiller balanced...this boat isn't quite like that...reason for leeward position was 1) a boat was approaching from port-side and heading close to me so wanted good view, 2) realized it was a friend chasing me down for a picture so I obliged and kept to leeward for that "classic" pose...;)

I estimate winds were prob 8-9 at time pix was taken and angle of heel maybe 20 degrees so no big deal.

Rick

Gary H wrote:Rick,

Great photo - nice looking boat. I notice that you choose to sail from the leeward side and am curious as to your reason. I tend to only sit on the leeward side when the wind is light and I want gravity to help fill the sails.

Gary