New book released: global circumnavigation on a CD30

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

SVOrca

New book released: global circumnavigation on a CD30

Post by SVOrca »

In an act of shameless self-promotion, I'd like to post a link here to Orca, a book about circumnavigating aboard our CD30. Our boat served us faithfully and faultlessly in the Pacific, Atlantic, Indian, and Southern Oceans. I believe other CD owners will enjoy this account of our four-year, 40,000 nautical mile voyage aboard one of these sturdy and seaworthy yachts. The book is available at http://www.amazon.com/Orca-John-A-Penni ... 499319797/ in e-book and print versions for $3 and $9.

Fair winds,

John & Kara
SV Orca
Currently in Sitka, AK.
Chapter 19.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Russell

Re: New book released: global circumnavigation on a CD30

Post by Russell »

Congrats on your circumnavigation, just bought the kindle version to read on my trip from Jamaica to Panama.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Is a signed edition available?
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Adamhagan

Post by Adamhagan »

What a wonderful gift...a new sailing book to read! And it features a Cape Dory...I can't wait.

Thanks for sharing.
Kind Regards,

Adam
Shinok

Post by Shinok »

Finished your book last night, I really enjoyed it, thanks for sharing the link here. I will pass it off to my bride to read next :)

I would like to hear more about your preparation for the trip and any work you did on the boat prior to departure.

I'm also curious, you mention using industrial alcohol to douse saltwater soaked electronics to prevent corrosion and damage. I've never heard of that being done before, can you elaborate?
Russell

Post by Russell »

I just finished and rather enjoyed your book, some of your route choices were interesting. A problem with a lot of sailing books like this is they are not written very well, your book did not suffer this problem at all, your prose is quite good!

Thank you letting me in on your adventure.
Russell
Forrest

Post by Forrest »

I started reading it last night - a fun book. The author has a real future as a writer. The book mentions "Cooper's Brew Kit" which apparently is the gold standard of DIY beer. Here are the links:

http://www.coopers.com.au/#

http://www.amazon.com/Coopers-676-DIY-B ... B004QCXWSA

Forrest
Forrest Paddock
Houston, TX
Supporting this site through membership in the CDSOA, Inc. Member 420
SVOrca

Post by SVOrca »

Thanks for all the kind words. Our route was interesting, we learned quite a bit. The east-to-west Australian Bight crossing was inspired by one of the Pardey's books. I'm not sure we would do it again, although we wouldn't miss Tasmania for anything.

We did very little to the boat to prepare other than adding a steering vane, new sails, and 170W of solar panels. In New Zealand we took the mast out and disassembled just about every piece of hardware from masthead to chainplates. Given that nothing had been done since 1978, it was all in remarkably good shape and I slept very well after that. My only complaint was the bronze worm-gear steering was prone to wear during long tough passages. Edson was not very interested in providing support for this older system.

The theory behind pure alcohol is that it rinses out the saltwater. Since it's volatile, it evaporates rapidly and leaves no deposit behind. Distilled water would do the same thing, but wouldn't evaporate very quickly in the humid conditions at sea. We carried lots for our alcohol stove, anyway. All I can say for sure is that we had good luck reviving electronics this way, though our efforts were far from scientific.

I'm sure there are homebrewers out there who would object to the Coopers being called the gold standard in beer, but it is pretty darn good, very inexpensive, and widely available in Australia and NZ. From a sailor's perspective, it's hard to beat.

Fair winds,

John
Russell

Post by Russell »

Yeah I would hardly call Coopers the gold standard! I used to do all grain home brewing when I lived in a house, I hate to admit that back then I snobbishly looked down at kit brewing. But hard core grain brewing would be totally impractical on a boat! Those kits are perfect! I have met others who have brewed aboard, but generally in catamarans with a lot of space, I never considered it a practical possability on my CD, until reading your book, soda bottles and jerry jugs with homebrew kits sounds entirely doable! I think I will pick up a few kits next time I am in a country where they are attainable.

How long will you be in Alaska? I am heading in that direction, following a similar route as you (via Panama to Hawaii), not looking forward to that rather long passage. If you are still there in summer 2015 I would gladly buy you two a drink.

I related to a lot in your book, myself having started cruising full time in my 20s, I know how it is being the odd ball young person among all the retirees.
Russell
Zeida
Location: 1982 CD33 "Bandolera II" Hull #73Key Biscayne-Miami, Florida

Post by Zeida »

As a Cape Dory sailor myself, I was intrigued by the story of a 30 footer CD on a circumnavigation. At first, it was a bit slow and the beginning chapters were not so much about sailing but more about the family troubles, which got me somewhat impatient. Somehow, after putting the book down in typical impatient fashion, I would come right back for more. It is not an intellectual book, it is easy to read, and entertaining. But it is very well written, and even the cliches used to describe some of the situations, are easily forgiven. It is revealing,.. And for a coastal sailor who single hands most of the time in very safe waters, it is a fantastic adventure the kind of which I can only dream, or read about. And it is a true story. And daring... And it was possible! My hat off to John and Kara for having the guts of doing what they did, and even better, to John for writing this book and sharing their lives and experiences with the rest of us. You both are really an inspiration. :) Sincerely,
Zeida Cecilia-Mendez, S/V Bandolera II - Cape Dory 33 sloop, home port, Miami, Florida.
Zeida
CDSOA Member
CD30C

Post by CD30C »

John,

Great book! I finished it last night, now my wife is reading it.

Tell us more about your boat. Motor, chainplates, brand of steering gear and how it works with the worm gear steering. Where did you mount your solar cells? What brand of stove? Where did you keep your dinghy? Storage? light wind sails? Thoughts on toilet alternatives?

Some of us are inclined to do some bluewater sailing. As far as I know, there are only two Cape Dorys that have circumnavigated: Fenix and Orca. I did a Google of your name and the name of your boat, and didn't find much. You have been a member on this message board for over a year, and have only made the two posts in this topic. You write awfully well for someone who keeps so much to himself. Please Please, tell us more.

Doug
Charlottesville, VA
Cape Dory 30 Cutter
Olive Oyl
CD30C

Post by CD30C »

Also Anchors, chain, and windlass.

Doug
Charlottesville, VA
Cape Dory 30 Cutter
Olive Oyl
Tom Keevil

Post by Tom Keevil »

We just arrived in Sitka this afternoon; we've not had internet access for a long time. Are you still here? We're on dock A in Thomsen. Can we buy the book from you?
Tom and Jean Keevil
CD33 Rover
Ashland OR and Ladysmith, BC
Zeida
Location: 1982 CD33 "Bandolera II" Hull #73Key Biscayne-Miami, Florida

Post by Zeida »

Rover… you should have a Kindle and get all your books electronically. Lots less space used up… :)
Zeida
CDSOA Member
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

A very entertaining light hearted read. I loved it.

Unfortunately, your description of racism and plastic was very disheartening left me feeling down!

Again I loved your book.

Fair Winds
Bill Member #250.