Typhoon transport

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Dart53

Typhoon transport

Post by Dart53 »

First off I'm new to this Forum so greetings everyone.

I can acquire a Typhoon Weekender reasonably (without a trailer or cradle). The only problem is that it is located outside of Wash, DC (in the water) and I live in Massachusetts.

I got a quote from a boat transport company to bring it up for $1900, well beyond my budget. Triad wants $2435(FOB Raleigh, NC) for their basic trailer model. I'm waiting for a quote from a Road King dealer on their trailer(quality?). I'm not having any luck finding a used trailer.

My other thought (outside of sailing it up here) was to build a cradle and put it on a rented flatbed trailer and go get it.

Anyway I've run out of ideas and I'm looking for any input others my have.

Thanks in advance,

Arthur
casampson

Re: Typhoon transport

Post by casampson »

Buy the Triad. You'll be very happy you did. It will pay for itself very quickly and will increase the value of your Typhoon. Best of luck.

Chris
s2sailorlis

Post by s2sailorlis »

I am looking at similar situations....

I think you have to think long term here ...If cost is $1.9K for transport (basically $$ you are throwing away.. vs $2.4 for Trailer (plus gas cost...of lets say $350 for gas/tolls) or lets say $2.9K total so $1K more - you then have to ask breakeven time period for winter storage on trailer v at a boat yard. At least that is the logic I am considering.
Good luck

Dart53 wrote:First off I'm new to this Forum so greetings everyone.

I can acquire a Typhoon Weekender reasonably (without a trailer or cradle). The only problem is that it is located outside of Wash, DC (in the water) and I live in Massachusetts.

I got a quote from a boat transport company to bring it up for $1900, well beyond my budget. Triad wants $2435(FOB Raleigh, NC) for their basic trailer model. I'm waiting for a quote from a Road King dealer on their trailer(quality?). I'm not having any luck finding a used trailer.

My other thought (outside of sailing it up here) was to build a cradle and put it on a rented flatbed trailer and go get it.

Anyway I've run out of ideas and I'm looking for any input others my have.

Thanks in advance,

Arthur

Excuse auto-correct typos courtesy of iOS...or simply lazy typing
ronkberg

Post by ronkberg »

Hi Arthur, I live just up the road from Mass in southern Maine and have a Typhoon sitting on a very good trailer listed for sale. Look at the other page with items for sale and you can see the boat and trailer listed. If this would solve your problem, you can be the new owner of a fine Typhoon Weekender and can haul her home to MA. My price is high but I am open to offers.

Regards, Ron
Ron Kallenberg
Old Orchard Beach, Maine
Sailing in Saco Bay, Maine
Michael_Typhoon

Post by Michael_Typhoon »

I have my Typhoon on a trailer and am so glad I do...none of the headaches of marina or mooring - and I get to look at her daily! I really like being able to work on her whenever I have a spare minute....not as often as I like!

You are going to love sailing her! Such fun boats.
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Post by Oswego John »

Arthur,

There is another reason to keep your Ty on your own trailer. You will save big bucks each spring and fall. You won't have to rely on the marina or boat yard's boat lift to launch or pull your boat each season. Simply tow your boat to it, and use the local, public boat ramp.

Another benefit of having the boat on its own trailer is that some day you might have a desire to sail on a different lake or other body of water. Simply hitch up the boat and trailer and travel where you want to and go sailing. Most areas have boat ramps and overnight facilities.

Enjoy your Ty,
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
gcm52

Post by gcm52 »

I agree that buying a trailer is the best solution, but you might find a cheaper rate to transport the boat using U-Ship. It is a website that allows you to post your shipping job on their website and shippers bid on doing the job. Just be careful.
CD 25D #120
ariasis

Post by ariasis »

I have to say I love my triad. I think William May have a road king he would be a good person to ask. Here is the link to his blog. http://baggywrinkles.blogspot.com If you do a trailer be sure to get one with a tongue extension.
Sincerely,

Chris B.
http://bristol-blue.blogspot.com/

"It is the Average Sailor, the one who will never set any records or win any major trophies, who really populates the sailing world." Ray Whitaker

"Never tell a young person that something cannot be done. God may have waited for centuries for someone ignorant enough of the impossible to do that very thing."- John Andrew Holmes
casampson

Post by casampson »

I've always been glad that I have a trailer when there's a hurricane warning, and I don't have to rely on (or pay) a boatyard to haul my boat. It hasn't happened (yet) with my Typhoon, but it happened several times when I was sailing Bullseyes.
Skeep
Location: Previously CD Typhoon #729, now Alberg 30 Hull #614

Post by Skeep »

Trailers are great. Here is the Road King:

Showing the extended tongue which enables launching made so much more easy. Solid construction, submersible, lights, gravity braking, it is simply solid. Not some rickety old thing which could break apart under her weight. And this is what I pull it with, no big huge Suburban XLT Mountain Truck, a lowly 328xi:

Others are correct, it saves money over time! I ride my motorcycle to the yard, jump up the ladder and start working. No tan lines from the nasty water of the lake either! Look at them both, two classics together, awwwww :D
Skeep
Supporting Member #1576 of the CDSOA
Current Vessel, Alberg 30 Hull #614 to be named yet
Formerly S/V Hull #729 "Baggy Wrinkles"
Blogsite for Alberg Ty and Alberg 30 continues athttp://baggywrinkles.blogspot.com
Located at Lake Murray Sailing Club, Chapin South Carolina
Michael_Typhoon

Post by Michael_Typhoon »

I'm impressed that BMW Wagon can pull the Typhoon out! I use an old jeep because I've got to get it back into the water - I don't have an extension. (And I am not going to get one, because then the wife could see no reason to keep the jeep!) Does it have any problem pulling it out?
Skeep

Post by Skeep »

Michael, the 328xi has no problems with anything it seems. That it has 3 transmission capabilities, Sport, Manual and Automatic, enables it to easily yank the Typhoon out of the water and go climb hills. There's this mysterious bit of myth that only a huge vehicle can pull it but it has more to do with some sort of industry trade agreement rather than horsepower and strength. No, it has no problem at all. She's visually a bit low on the frame but the Ty is balanced quite well on the trailer.

Extension? Absolutely convenient and easy to use.
Skeep
Blogsite for Alberg Ty and Alberg 30 continues athttp://baggywrinkles.blogspot.com
casampson

Post by casampson »

I have an extension for my Triad trailer, but I haven't used it yet. The way my sailing buddies and I launch boats is to tie a stout rope to the trailer and the the hitch and slowly lower the trailer into the water by backing the car down the ramp. That way the car doesn't get wet. I suppose it wouldn't work very well if you don't have a fairly steep ramp, but it works just fine here. I do plan on trying the extension this spring, just to see if it works.
Skeep

Post by Skeep »

Yeah I am familiar with that method however, there's a bit of drama in it for me, so I decided on a sure and certain, every time I launch it works the same, method. I back into the water line so that my muffler tips just kiss the waterline. At that point if I've done my job, the dory is floating already. A small bump with the brakes just prior to my tips touching the water usually is not needed but if desired, can achieve some rearward motion of the dory off the trailer if a handler is on a line. I often launch solo, and do not bump her off, this provides me ample time to walk around to the dock, pick up the line and pull her to the cleats.

The extension is an easy build by Road King and has to be included best at the time of order. The extension assures successful launching off my trailer with the hull bunks.
Skeep
ariasis

Post by ariasis »

If you go with a flat bed be sure to go with something with a low profile unlike my uncles old trailer. http://bristol-blue.blogspot.com/2014/0 ... rsday.html
Sincerely,

Chris B.
http://bristol-blue.blogspot.com/

"It is the Average Sailor, the one who will never set any records or win any major trophies, who really populates the sailing world." Ray Whitaker

"Never tell a young person that something cannot be done. God may have waited for centuries for someone ignorant enough of the impossible to do that very thing."- John Andrew Holmes