CD25D on Ebay - Cheap

Selling or looking for a Cape Dory? Selling or looking for used gear? List your "Wanted to Buy" or "For Sale" items here.
David van den Burgh

CD25D on Ebay - Cheap

Post by David van den Burgh »

Russell

Re: CD25D on Ebay - Cheap

Post by Russell »

Based on the photos of the outside of the hull, I am guessing a hurricane sandy victim. So who knows, buyer beware, may have sunk? Maybe have who knows what damage? But then, if it sells cheap enough, a great project boat, at the current bid of $50 and change I would buy it, but of course it won't stay there.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Gary H

Post by Gary H »

Sold for 56.99!
I would be curious to hear who bought it and what you find.
CDSOA Member 1389
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

$60 for a 1982 Cape Dory 25D :!:

I am a rookie but just looking at the photos on ebay it seems like there is $5,000 worth of parts alone. What a deal.

The ad said "The interior of the boat shows well." Assuming that is accurate, it probably did not sink in Hurricane Sandy. The engine may well be good. Even if engine is bad, $5,000 for a new engine and $5,000 for structural repairs (a rough "guesstimate") that is still a very good deal.

Also important, the photos of the exterior show that that teak was very well cared for. One photo even appears to show the glisten of a gloss (like Cetol Clear Gloss or similar). That certainly suggests a well-cared-for Cape Dory.

I think someone got a great deal.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Russell

Post by Russell »

Gary H wrote:Sold for 56.99!
I would be curious to hear who bought it and what you find.
Wow, surprised there was not a reserve. Someone got a deal, though I hope they are handy with DIY!
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
trapper
CD25D, Lake Murray SC

Post by trapper »

Boat is coming to South Carolina. I will keep you posted!
cjrs472
CD25D 1983
Hull#109

Post by cjrs472 »

This is not a CD25D, but a CD25
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

cjrs472 wrote:This is not a CD25D, but a CD25
I would respectfully disagree.

1. The photos that were on ebay show her to be a CD 25D, including a diesel engine panel in back of the tiller and a gear shift and throttle on the port side in the cockpit.

2. The ad says that power is "diesel". The "D" in a CD 25D stands for diesel.

3. The interior photos also show her to be a CD 25D.
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
cjrs472
CD25D 1983
Hull#109

Post by cjrs472 »

If I am looking at the right add, & boat, it shows it has a beam: 7' 3"; draft: 3' and a displacement of 4,000 lbs much less than our CD25D
Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

trapper wrote:Boat is coming to South Carolina. I will keep you posted!
Fran a/k/a "Trapper":

What did you and your husband buy for the exorbitant price of $56.99 - a CD 25 or a CD 25D :?:
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
SV Tatyana

Post by SV Tatyana »

The pictures are definitely a 25D, I would say its safe to assume that the yard salvaging the boat made a misunderstood the boat and just looked up the dimensions of a CD25 not knowing the 25D is a totally different boat. This boat was for sale on yachtworld for about a year for about $8,000 OBO. IIRC it was tossed around during Sandy. Interested in how the hull withstood the damage structurally. Looks like quite a steal!
cjrs472
CD25D 1983
Hull#109

Post by cjrs472 »

It makes sense. Thanks
trapper
CD25D, Lake Murray SC

Post by trapper »

Hi Robert and others interested

Robert u r correct
She is indeed a CD25D

Have not seen it yet
Boat is currently on route from NJ to SC

Report is that boat was tosses around pretty good but all damage appears to be cosmetic
Will post pics when I can
Shinok

Post by Shinok »

I'm envious, I came really close to calling in a bid when I saw her on the salvage page a few months ago. I figured she'd at least go for scrap value, but $56! That's insane and wonderful for you.

I wish I had a back yard!! Be sure to post some pictures and your progress on fixing her up.
trapper
CD25D, Lake Murray SC

Post by trapper »

I saw the boat for the first time this morning. Many, many deep scratches to the gelcoat mostly on the freeboard area of the hull. The Bottom has a few deep gashes in the gelcoat, but not nearly as many as the freeboard side of the hull. Much of the bottom paint is gone, I guess that is a good thing! The gelcoat is gone in large patches on the nose of the boat all the way down to the bottom of the keel. That damage can be seen prettty well in the ebay pics. There is one puncture where a piece of fiberglass about the size of a half dollar is pushed in on the bottom of the boat. Small area on the heel of the keel needs glasswork I am very suprised at how thick the fiberglass is on the boat. The heel of the keel and the one spot appear to be the only glass work needed. The rest is filling and sanding--and lots of it.

I could not get up to see the deck, cockpit or coach roof. But I could see that one eybrow was broken as was one handrail. The rubrail is pretty much gone but there is no crushing of the fiberglass in that area and the toe rail appears to be fine. The boom broke near the mast but my husband was able to pick one up at the yard. It is a little long but he can cut it off. The gooseneck is still attached to the mast, so that is an easy fix.

Bow pullpit in good shape--stern rail-- not there. I saw several stansions crushed or bent. There is at least one spreder.

I will try to post pics later.