CD TY Daysailor -Furled or hanked on jib

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

rogergaby

CD TY Daysailor -Furled or hanked on jib

Post by rogergaby »

I'm surprised I did not get any replies to my request for advice on whether to replace my 20 year old furled genoa with a hanked on sail.
The roller furling makes dousing the sail a pleasure but I have been advised that it also makes me a bit non-competitive. I am also considering a 100% jib (hanked on).
Any recommendations from all of you Daysailors?
Roger Gaby
MAGICCARPET,1979 TY Daysailor

Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Re: CD TY Daysailor -Furled or hanked on jib

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Roger:

From what I have gleaned from other board members the following generally applies:

hank on head sail for racing; furling head sail for leisurely day sailing.

On my CD Ty Weekender I had a 100 jib and 130 Genoa; both hank ons. I found that for my purposes - leisurely day sailing on Biscayne Bay the 100 jib was good 75-80 % of the time (10-14 kts) and on really light wind days I would hank on the 130. If I had kept S/V Tadpole I would have installed a roller furler for convenience.

I am confident those with a lot more experience than I will soon add their thoughts to your thread. I suspect that most of these guys who live in the NE, and Great Lakes area have computers that are frozen from the cold weather. :D I almost had to put my laptop in the oven to warm it up this morning. Temps in Miami got down to 41 degrees :!: In Miami :!: :!: :!: :!:
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

41 degrees! At that temperature you can no longer keep the Guinness outside. :wink:
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
sharkbait

Post by sharkbait »

Asking about sails in kind of like asking which anchor is best :cry:
Have A Nice Day
Jim Davis
Edgewater, MD

Post by Jim Davis »

For a boat the size and configuration of the TyDs I personally would stay with hank on sails. If it were bigger I would consider roller furling. This is not said from the competition aspect as I have seen boats with roller furling actually do quite well in racing. It is your sails are small and easy to handle (especially on the TyDs) and I can think of enough other things to spend the boat units on.

My wife has a TyDs so this comes from actual experience.
Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

When I was sailing my TY, I carried three head sails. I would judge the wind and pick a suitable sail for the day. On rare occasion I did make a sail change or two, while sailing but it was the exception. I never race but always try to keep the boat moving to the best of my ability.

I lot would depend on how much money you want to spend on what. New furler, new sails, a big down wind sail? There are lots of ways to handle things. If I had a working furler, I would keep it and concentrate on the sails. If the furler is shot, you have different options.

One question is weather you have on board stowage for a full suit of sails, Steve.
mainecoast

Post by mainecoast »

I have a Ty Day Sailor with a 130% genoa on a CDI furler. I like the convenience of the furler and am not concerned about the competitive aspect. I don't like how the sail sets when I have it partially furled but I love the furler when I am coming up to the mooring. I, too, am thinking about a getting a jib but would keep it on the furler not hanked on as I want to be able to switch to the jenny when needed.
Ralph Kimball
rogergaby

Post by rogergaby »

I'd like to thank everyone who replied to my inquiry about furled vs. hanked-on.
I think I will stick with my furler and buy a racing jib (furled on) from Jerry Latell at Ullman sails here in Deltaville. I understand he has made quite a few CD sails for the fleet on the Rapahannock and they are pretty serious about their racing.
Thanks again.
By the way, here on the Piankatank 3 of us have left out boats in the water for the occasional fun sail when the days hit 50 degrees and less than 20mph winds. Unfortunately ,looks like the temperatures will be at or below freezing for the next week or two.
Time to work on the big boat.
Roger,MAGICCARPET
okawbow

Post by okawbow »

I raced my Corinthian 19, which is really just an overweight Typhoon, and used hank on headsails. I did very well against boats that used roller headsails. The hank on sails always seemed to have a better set, than the rollers.

Phoenix-2010big by okawbow, on Flickr

I run the halyard and a downhaul line back to the cockpit. I can have the jib hoisted or down on the deck just as fast as a roller. I don't believe a roller is needed on a boat this small. The mast goes up and down much easier without the furler also.
Dick Villamil

Post by Dick Villamil »

I replaced my hanked on jib with a CDI roller furler and a 130%^ genny. You also need to add genow track and cars that will move according to the rolled up sail area. If you want to be competitive in club racing, stay with the hanked-on sails but if you want the convenience, put on roller furling. My typhoon is a weekender - not the day sailor. The roller furler allows you to sail into a dock with little fuss, change sail area single handedly with minimal effort whereas the hanked-on sails require going forward to change the sails - this upsets the balance of the boat while the bow is pitching into the waves while you are trying to install one sail and remove the other. Sheeting angle is easier to set with the hanked-on sail and the sail doesn't have the UV cover to weigh it down in light air. Also, roller furling sails are cut differently than hanked-on sails and the hanked sails generally have a better shape than the traditional furling headsail/ Tradeoffs - always a concern with sails and boat hulls! Good luck with your decision and if you go to a roller fueler, keep the old forestay and hanked on sails for a while so you can change them for racing and keep the roller furler sails and forestay for cruising and just "messing around in boats"!
trapper
CD25D, Lake Murray SC

Post by trapper »

I race my Ensign and I use hank on sails. I cruise my CD25D and I use a roller furler. My friend with a Ty that he both races and cruises has both. He does not race much so he uses roller furler most of the time, but he has a nice composite 155 hank on that he uses to race.