installing tides marine sail track

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

David Morton

installing tides marine sail track

Post by David Morton »

I am thinking about installing the Tides Marine track on my mast while unstepped. The installation instructions would require that I modify the mastgate with my dremel in order to insert the track. I'm thinking I could probably just run it up from the bottom and remove the gooseneck rather than start grinding away on the mastgate. Anybody ever try it this way? Is there some technique to removing the gooseneck and reinstalling it safely?

David
"If a Man speaks at Sea, where no Woman can hear,
Is he still wrong?
" anonymous, Phoenician, circa 500 b.c.
Russell

Re: installing tides marine sail track

Post by Russell »

Chances are that yoru gooseneck is going to be much harder to remove then just cutting away the mastgate. SS fasteners in aluminium for 30 years..... I ended up drilling the bolt heads off to remove mine when I put on my new boom.

Cutting the slot in the mast gate is like a 20 minute job, no big deal.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
David Morton

Post by David Morton »

I knew you would set me straight. Thanks, Russel. Any opinions about which model Dremel is most useful for us sailor types?
Is he still wrong?
Russell

Post by Russell »

David Morton wrote:I knew you would set me straight. Thanks, Russel. Any opinions about which model Dremel is most useful for us sailor types?
I have the corded dremel, a bit more umph the the cordless ones (back when I bought it 10 years ago at least), I am sure they have different models now though.

I actually used a rotozip to cut out the slot for the strongtrack though if I recall correctly. Aluminium is very easy to cut, just about anything should be able to do the trick.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Couldn't you just take off the mast head casting and slide it in from the top? Just a few screws up there and you are all set, Steve.
bottomscraper

Post by bottomscraper »

Steve Laume wrote:Couldn't you just take off the mast head casting and slide it in from the top? Just a few screws up there and you are all set, Steve.
Yes assuming the mast is unstepped. The instructions call for installing from the bottom for masts that are stepped and also because some mastheads don't come off easy (or at all, I have seen a few welded on).
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
David Morton

Post by David Morton »

Thanks for that suggestion, Steve. As soon as I get back to the boat (at the kids' place for Xmas) I'll take a look at the masthead.

Merry Xmas to All and Happy New Year!!

David
Is he still wrong?
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

David Morton wrote:I am thinking about installing the Tides Marine track on my mast while unstepped. The installation instructions would require that I modify the mastgate with my dremel in order to insert the track. I'm thinking I could probably just run it up from the bottom and remove the gooseneck rather than start grinding away on the mastgate. Anybody ever try it this way? Is there some technique to removing the gooseneck and reinstalling it safely?

David
David:

When the rigger and I removed the gooseneck to move it up the mast 12" it was very difficult to remove the ss screws. I believe 3-4 came out ok after some effort. The remaining 2-3 had to be drilled out. For my purposes this was OK since I was moving the gooseneck up the mast. If not doing this and if not want to unstep the mast it may be easier to slightly enlarge the mast gate area. As you know, the Tides Marine track comes with its own mast gate system.

I wish all on this board a Safe and Merry Christmas and a Safe and Happy New Year.

Buon Natale e Felice Anno Nuovo :!:
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Carter Brey
City Island, New York

Post by Carter Brey »

David Morton wrote:I am thinking about installing the Tides Marine track on my mast while unstepped. The installation instructions would require that I modify the mastgate with my dremel in order to insert the track. I'm thinking I could probably just run it up from the bottom and remove the gooseneck rather than start grinding away on the mastgate. Anybody ever try it this way? Is there some technique to removing the gooseneck and reinstalling it safely?

David
David,

It's a very quick job with a Dremel and a HD cutoff wheel, then burr removal with a file.

A worthwhile upgrade.

Carter
Sabre 28-II Delphine
City Island, NY