deck and Steaming light mid mast Cape Dory 22

Selling or looking for a Cape Dory? Selling or looking for used gear? List your "Wanted to Buy" or "For Sale" items here.
josephlongAZ
Location: 'Elli' 1983 Cape Dory 22D Hull #148 Cabrillo Yacht Marina, San Pedro, CA

deck and Steaming light mid mast Cape Dory 22

Post by josephlongAZ »

I have a CD 22 with the original Spartan Marine mid-mast deck and running light. I have cleaned the terminals and the fixture in place on the mast and it still does not work. I haven't removed the fixture yet; the large central screw that appears to hold the fixture in place on the mast is pretty frozen and will need some penetrating oil and patience to get it loosened up. I almost think it is time to replace the fixture.

I've checked with Spartan Marine and they no longer carry the fixture (it is listed as SP055 - 163 in the 1982 Spartan catalogue). Anyone have a source for a comparable replacement light fixture or a remedy to get it to work? I'd like to match the original or close to it, if possible.

Thank you.

Joe Long
Member #1449
'Elli'
Steve Bryant
"Elan"
Ocean Springs, MS

Re: deck and Steaming light mid mast Cape Dory 22

Post by Steve Bryant »

Joe,

The original SP163 fixture lights are actually two different Perko Lights mounted on an aluminum casting. Once you free up the screw and get the casting removed, you can replace the individual light fixtures or just the lenses.

The steaming light is Perko model # 0964
The replacement lens is Perko model # 0281 if you have the open top model or # 0295 if you have the closed top

The spreader light is Perko model # 0265
The replacement lens which includes an O ring is Perko Model # 0284

I replaced mine several years ago.

Here is a link to the Perko website: http://www.perko.com

Just type the model nos. into the search function on the Perko home page and you can confirm that this is what you are looking for, then just Google the model numbers and you can find a lots of places online to buy them.

Hope this helps,
Steve Bryant
"Elan" 1981 CD25 #815
hughesw

Great Info...

Post by hughesw »

Thanks.
josephlongAZ
Location: 'Elli' 1983 Cape Dory 22D Hull #148 Cabrillo Yacht Marina, San Pedro, CA

Post by josephlongAZ »

Thank you very much. My next project . . .

Joe Long
'Elli'
swhfire21

Post by swhfire21 »

Well, I broke out the multi-meter and started troubleshooting the steaming/foredeck light on the mast (foredeck works, but steamer does not) which was working before the mast was stepped.

I have concluded there are two problems:

1) The switch for the deck light must be internally corroded as I'm getting 1.4 volts across the circuit (at the base of the mast) when the switch is in the off position (corrosion in switch I guess). Has anyone replaced the switches in the original panel and have a source for them?

2) Something is shorted or crossed at the light fixture(s) as I have continuity between the the individual hot wires leading to it. There is no continuity between the hots and the mast, so it does not appear that they chafed through and shorted to mast. I was thinking about changing the fixture to a Aqua Signal fixture to match the other running lights (replaced by a PO), but the equivalent sized fixture (Series 25) at West Marine has some really bad reviews. Their alternative fixture (Model # 192130 | Mfg # 41404-1) has no reviews and goes for over $200. Does anyone have a suggestion for a better quality/reasonably priced fixture or brand of lights (I'm not married to the Aqua Signal lights and could swap others out over the winter)? Also, I was also thinking about going LED.

Looks like I should be able to work from a ladder on spreader bars (tied down of course) with a fall harness. Has anyone done this and have any hints/suggestions?

Thanks
Steve
Pleasant Journey, Morgan 35
Previously:
'85 CD 26, Hull No. 30
'74 Typhoon Hull No. 789
Great Bay/Little Egg Harbor, NJ