converting a typhoon day sailer from a keel to deck stepe

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

wlustusky

converting a typhoon day sailer from a keel to deck stepe

Post by wlustusky »

I would like to convert my boat from a keel stepped mast using a Hinge mast step assembly (SP-630HAD) from Spartan Spars ($180) seems like it would make life easier. The boat is on a trailer and the launch site is just down the hill from my house in Maine. The question is how high above the mast opening in the deck should I cut the Mast? The mast will have to be shortened by !.5 inches to allow for the insertion of the part. Has anyone ever done this ? if so any advice would be great
Thanks Bill l,
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Re: converting a typhoon day sailer from a keel to deck step

Post by tjr818 »

Wasn't OJ just thinking about doing this? Search some resent posts.
I think I would cut it as high as I could so that there is less weight to lift and more room under the folded mast.. If you are going to cover the boat for the winter, you could use the folded mast as a ridge pole, much the way others use the boom. Does the boat have to go into a garage or shed? you want to keep it low enough to fit. How about trailering? How far aft of the transom would the mast head be?
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Re: converting a typhoon day sailer from a keel to deck step

Post by Oswego John »

Hi Bill, Tim,

There are several ways that you can hinge your mast. If you don't want the hinge directly above the coach roof, you can employ the Sun Cat type of hinge. With this type of hinge, you can cut the mast at any height you want. Browse Sun Cat catboats.

Then there is the Spartan type hinge with two pins, one fore and one aft. This mounts directly above the cuddy roof. (Spartan SP-630HA)

Also available is the Spartan tabernacle type hinge which also mounts on the cuddy roof. (Spartan SP-661)

There are certain things to keep in mind when installing a mast hinge. It is advisable to add a compression post below the mast base location. Also, the original hole where the mast went through the cuddy roof must be weather sealed. Provision must be made for electrical and electronic wiring to pass through from inside the cabin to the mast base.

There is a rarely used type of hinge made by Spartan, (CD2 Hinged Mast Assembly SP-638 HAD) that is designed to convert early Tys with keel based masts to a hinged mast. The mast is cut just above the roof. The lower section of the cut mast remains in place. The original lower mast acts to help fill and waterproof the mast hole This lower mast section acts as a compression post. The hinge attaches to the lower as well as the upper sections of the mast. There is a wireway through the hinge for the wires to enter the mast from inside the cuddy and pass up through the mast.

Good luck,
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490