25d cabin sole/cockpit non skid

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

frankfurder

25d cabin sole/cockpit non skid

Post by frankfurder »

CABIN SOLE

I have a small area in the cabin sole aft about 1" x 8" that has turned to mush. The laminate top is intact, but the plywood underlay is rotten. Any suggestions on how to effect a small repair? I was thinking of preparing a plywood insert to screw in place and replacing the old laminate top. I wish i knew how to post pics as they would tell the story better.

COCKPIT CORE REPAIR

Also, after much thought and planning I have removed the soft section of cockpit (where the holding tank pump out is located), replaced w/marine plywood, and biaxial fiberglass laminate. I reused the topskin and am now trying to sand, fair, prime and paintnew non-skid. I purchased INterlux Interdeck Sand Beige but the color is too light and doesnt match the Cape Dory beige. After going thru the repair, and I am happy that i did it by the book, i just want a close enough match to delay recoating the entire cockpit with non skid. From what i have seen, Kiwi Grip is a pretty good product but it doesnt come close to matching the rest of the boat.

Thanks as usual!
Jeff G

Re: 25d cabin sole/cockpit non skid

Post by Jeff G »

I do not think there is an easy fix for the cabin sole problem. With a little work, you can drill out the bungs and remove the wooden sole. If you could remove it in one piece, I'd try drying it out and saturating the rot with epoxy. If the problem is forward of the compression post it will be easier as that area is easily removed. Aft of the post is a bigger project. The best approach is to build a new sole from half inch teak and holly plywood. Use the old sole as a template.
Markst95
Location: 1972 Typhoon Weekender "SWIFT" Hull #289 Narragansett Bay, RI

Post by Markst95 »

Petit Easypoxy Sandtone might be a closer match to the original, its darker than the Interlux.

Gary H

Post by Gary H »

Kiwi grip can be paint matched by any local paint store. Take their paint chips with you to your boat and find the one that most closely matches your boat's non-skid. Then ask the paint store to mix the white Kiwi Grip to that color. I used this method on my boat and it came out reasonably close.
CDSOA Member 1389
Bill Goldsmith

Post by Bill Goldsmith »

Gary H wrote:Kiwi grip can be paint matched by any local paint store. Take their paint chips with you to your boat and find the one that most closely matches your boat's non-skid. Then ask the paint store to mix the white Kiwi Grip to that color. I used this method on my boat and it came out reasonably close.

Ditto- It did the same thing with KiwiGrip and was very pleased!!
Bill Goldsmith
Loonsong
Cape Dory 32 Hull #2