Replacing original pressurized alcohol stove on 25D

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Dick Barthel

Replacing original pressurized alcohol stove on 25D

Post by Dick Barthel »

Hi All:

DW is on the hard and we're getting ready for a chilly World Series in these parts.

I'm thinking of changing out the original Origo (I think) pressurized alcohol stove on Dream Weaver and replacing it with nonpressurized version. I always thought there was a simple drop in substitute but that's not what I'm finding out from my initial research.

Before going any further I thought I'd ask what other 25D owners have done to upgrade their stoves.

I'm looking forward to hearing from everyone.

Thanks,

Dick
Ken Cave
Anacortes, WA

Re: Replacing original pressurized alcohol stove on 25D

Post by Ken Cave »

Alcohol stoves, as you already know, can be a fire hazard as you cannot see the flame. And, alcohol is also
expensive if one can find it.

I have seen many boaters out there that have "converted" their old stoves and have used a camp stove
in place of their old alcohol stoves. They burn a lot hotter, and after a few years of use, can be pulled out
and replaced if need be, as well as being a lot cheaper .

Ken Cave
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Dick,

I replaced my pressurized 2-burner stove with a non-pressurized Origo, cook with it often and have been happy with it.

It wasn't quite drop in, as I needed to expand the cut out by an inch or two. There was space underneath though and the cutting was easy enough. Just check to make sure you have enough room on the 25D for the slightly larger footprint.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
trapper
CD25D, Lake Murray SC

Post by trapper »

I replaced mine with this unit

http://www.swego.com/store/pc/viewPrd.a ... dproduct=5

It fits perfectly.

How does it work? Don't know. I have never used it!
Dick Barthel

Post by Dick Barthel »

trapper wrote:I replaced mine with this unit

http://www.swego.com/store/pc/viewPrd.a ... dproduct=5

It fits perfectly.

How does it work? Don't know. I have never used it!
So it fit depth wise without having to remove or at least modify the position of the drawer? If so that model looks very promising. I'd like not to have to modify the essential look of the original galley if possible.

Neil's solution would require some modification and it may be too big. I'd have to measure.

Thanks!
trapper
CD25D, Lake Murray SC

Post by trapper »

I need to double check with my husband but I dont think there were any mods. I know the drawer fits exactly the same and I dont think he had to cut any more out of the counter. Will let you know tomorrow. Looks just like the old one only clean and shinny!
trapper
CD25D, Lake Murray SC

Post by trapper »

I just checked the measurements of the Origo and the one I bought and they are real close. If Neil had to cut a little out of the countertop, then I bet Ben had to do the same as I suspect we all had the same old stove. I know that the depth is fine the footprint may be just a little larger. I recall that it came with a template. I'll try to get you some pics later this week.
Dick Barthel

Post by Dick Barthel »

trapper wrote:I just checked the measurements of the Origo and the one I bought and they are real close. If Neil had to cut a little out of the countertop, then I bet Ben had to do the same as I suspect we all had the same old stove. I know that the depth is fine the footprint may be just a little larger. I recall that it came with a template. I'll try to get you some pics later this week.
That would be terrific and very much appreciated!

Dick
trapper
CD25D, Lake Murray SC

Post by trapper »

Ok, I checked with Ben and like Neil, he did cut a little off the countertop. The stove comes with a template and he said it was a easy job with a "frette" saw--Ben is British so who knows what that is in "American". But I do know that the drawer is fine and the depth of the stove is the same as the old one. It fits fine in the CD25D. My boat is on the hard and I have to climb up into the boat. I will try to do it this week (and take the cover off), if not I will get a pic over the weekend.
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Post by Oswego John »

Trapper,

A fret saw is a type of coping saw. They come in varying throat depths. A variety of (tpi) teeth per inch blades are available.

O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Dick Barthel

Post by Dick Barthel »

Oswego John wrote:Trapper,

A fret saw is a type of coping saw. They come in varying throat depths. A variety of (tpi) teeth per inch blades are available.

O J
O J,

Can I talk you into coming down to Mystic to show me how to use it?

Hope you're doing well. I imagine you'll be shoveling the white stuff fairly soon.

Dick
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Dick,

The good news is that you don't need an exact cut. If you cut inside the line, just file/sand back a bit until the stove drops in. If you go a bit over, there's sufficient overlap to hide the difference.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
joemerchant

Post by joemerchant »

Defender has about every stove available and a good source for direct replacements. As far as the debate of which type of stove is safer, they ALL have their good and bad points.
Carter Brey
City Island, New York

Post by Carter Brey »

I replaced the original pressurized alcohol bomb on Delphine with the above-referenced Cookmate non-pressurized unit a couple of years ago. I can confirm that a slight enlargement of the cutout is needed-- a trivial task with a coping saw and a rasp. The stove works just fine.
bhartley
CD25D #184 "Pyxis"

CDSOA Member #785

Post by bhartley »

I swapped out the original pressure stove for an Origo on Pyxis. I opted to remove the cleat in front of the controls. The original cut out had to be enlarged slightly (about 1/2" in width). I cut out the edge towards the icebox. Corners were round and had to be squared up. I love the Origo. Never used the original though.