Any suggestions on replacing galley cooker?

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Howell and James

Any suggestions on replacing galley cooker?

Post by Howell and James »

We are the owners of a Cape Dory 33, 'Ragtime'. We have what is obviously the original Hill Range alcohol cooker. Sadly this has come to the end of it's life with all the pipes to the top burners with pin holes of rust, one completely inoperable. What replacement cookers have other people used? We considered going over to gas but this would be complicated with insurance demanding leak proof lockers for the bottles.

Our boat is based in Wales, U.K. and there are very few alcohol stoves here, all smaller than our current one.

Any suggestions, tips ideas would be gratefully received.

Jenny Howell
Steve Laume

Re: Any suggestions on replacing galley cooker?

Post by Steve Laume »

I don't suppose compressed natural gas is an option in the UK. If it were available, the tanks can be mounted in the cockpit lockers because the gas is lighter than air. It is a great fuel but is even difficult to obtain in the us at times.

You could mount propane bottles on your stern rail. I know this might not look so good but I have seen some covers made for them.

There are also some propane stowage lockers available that can be installed inside of another locker. They are sealed units with solenoid shut offs and overboard vents. These would be pretty easy to install.

I suppose another option would be to glass in a propane locker.

No matter how you finally decide to arrange your fuel stowage I am sure you will be happy to get rid of the alcohol stove, Steve.
Russell

Post by Russell »

If you do not want to go through the hassle of a propane conversion (though I personally think its worth the effort), you might consider a kerosene (paraffin) stove. Taylors is a company there in the UK that makes some very nice ones, it should be an easier replacement then the switch to propane.

http://www.taylorsheatersandcookers.co.uk/

If you ever opt to go cruising to far off places though, propane is the only way to go since it (or butane) is easily obtainable pretty much everywhere. Alcohol or kerosene may not be.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
rorik

Post by rorik »

The Taylors are nice, but expensive. I had one on my last boat.
It's been a long time since I've seen a Hillrange in person and I didn't see dimesnions online for one of their cook tops so take this link with that in mind.
Would one of these options work for you?

http://hytta.de/kocher/index.htm
I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request. Means no.
Howell and James

Post by Howell and James »

Thank you for your replies; it seems that most people go over to gas with relief once their alcohol stoves die! We do have trouble getting alcohol for it but it burns metholated spirits with no problems and that is easy to get here.

Any idea of the company that makes the ready made gas boxes mentioned?

Jenny Howell
Doug Hill

Post by Doug Hill »

Doug Hill