Hobby Marine

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

joemerchant

Hobby Marine

Post by joemerchant »

Does anyone know the status of Hobby Marine and the hull molds?
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Re: Hobby Marine

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

This is a link to a page on this site detailing the disposition of many of the Cape Dory molds:

http://www.capedory.org/cdmf97.ht

There is a dead link to Hobby Marine's website on the page. As the owner of a boat (MS 300) whose mold was sold to Hobby I tried to track them down on the Internet without success a while back. If there was a formal bankruptcy there might be a way to track down what happened to their assets through the filings. I did not take it hat far.
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
Lou Ostendorff

Post by Lou Ostendorff »

Yes, I know about Hobby Marine. But before I can reveal this information, you must perform the following ritual:

Go outside tomorrow morning, preferably at dawn, face the East with palms open and arms outstretched, with your eyes toward the Heavens and repeat the following phrase, "I know in my heart, that all roads lead to Oriental, NC".

Report back to this thread when the above is accomplished, and all questions will be answered...
Lou Ostendorff
CD25D Karma
Fleet Member, Carolinas
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

""I know in my heart, that all roads lead to Oriental, NC"" A friend of mine used to say something like that. He also used to say all roads lead away too. This seems to be a great mystery, Steve.
Hobster

Post by Hobster »

We are still alive and well. Fiberglass work has slowed down but as some of you may know we make a living in the Water and Wastewater business. I do have all of the molds + patterns to build the MS 300 and have made only small changes to the design. I only have to build one for me and then you may not find me. I have increased the HP so the main motor will drive a generator when needed, updated rigging, etc.. If anyone needs parts let me know. You can reach me at 252.224.1990
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

Hobster wrote:We are still alive and well. Fiberglass work has slowed down but as some of you may know we make a living in the Water and Wastewater business. I do have all of the molds + patterns to build the MS 300 and have made only small changes to the design. I only have to build one for me and then you may not find me. I have increased the HP so the main motor will drive a generator when needed, updated rigging, etc.. If anyone needs parts let me know. You can reach me at 252.224.1990
I wasn't able to fine you. Have you built many MS 300's? What engine are you now using? I had to repower a few years back and went with the Westerbeke 55 to replace the original Westerbeke 46. Lighter, a little more fuel efficient more punch in head winds and waves and a tad more speed.

Always wondered how sailing performance would improve with a lighter mast and boom furling rather than mast furling. Any changes to the mast?
Better to find humility before humility finds you.