Bottom Condition Codes - What do they mean

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

SeaBelle
Sea Belle
Hail port: Rockland, ME

Bottom Condition Codes - What do they mean

Post by SeaBelle »

OK I know that "M" means mud and "S" means sand but the "definitions" for "so or sft", is given as soft - what is soft? Other like hard and sticky confuse me as well. Where can I find further explanations?

TIA,
Jack
Sail on,
Jack
CD28 Sea Belle
Hailport - Rockland, ME

There are old sailors and bold sailors, but there are no old, bold sailors.

Reef early and often. It's easier to shake out a reef when one is bored than it is to tuck one in when one is scared.

When your only tool is a hammer, all your problems look like nails.
bottomscraper

Re: Bottom Condition Codes - What do they mean

Post by bottomscraper »

SeaBelle wrote:OK I know that "M" means mud and "S" means sand but the "definitions" for "so or sft", is given as soft - what is soft? Other like hard and sticky confuse me as well. Where can I find further explanations?

TIA,
Jack
Chart 1 has the list but not much of a description.

I will start with one description maybe others can help!

sy: (Sticky) Your anchor will set well and it will be hard to break free. Your chain and anchor will come up all covered with sticky clay mud but you will sleep well at night. It also means that if you have an anchor wash down pump it will stop working when you get ready to haul the anchor up.

Chart 1 PDF:
http://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/mcd/ ... artNo1.pdf
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Bottom Condition Codes - What do they mean

Post by Neil Gordon »

I don't know what the technical details are, but "hard" means your anchor won't easily penetrate. "Soft," I suspect, is the opposite... it goes in easy but it's also easy to drag.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698