Downsizing 1978 30K - Looking for smaller options

Selling or looking for a Cape Dory? Selling or looking for used gear? List your "Wanted to Buy" or "For Sale" items here.

Moderator: bobdugan

DocJoe
Fair Haven, NJ

Downsizing 1978 30K - Looking for smaller options

Post by DocJoe »

I am looking to trade and downsize from my 1978 30K. Brightwork is almost all refinished. Low mileage 18hp Westerbeke. New bow rail courtesy of Sandy. Needs repair to small area of gelcoat topside. Typical CD crazing. Standing and running rigging in good shape. Sails are in good condition. Includes a drifter that I've never used. Leaks around the companionway have been repaired. Bottom was stripped this past spring. Hull never painted but looks pretty good for her age. Cockpit and cabin cushions in good shape. Speed/depth a couple of years old. VHF wiring needs to be checked but no other glitches I'm aware of.

I'm open to options 25' and down. Thanks for looking.

Joe Conroy
Andy Denmark

Re: Downsizing 1978 30K - Looking for smaller options

Post by Andy Denmark »

Hello again, Dr. Joe,

You and I have had some discussions on this board in years past. I hope you are doing well.

There's a chance our situations might mesh per your posting. I have a CD-27, Rhiannon, that I fitted out as a personal boat when I was a Cape Dory dealer back in the 80's, a true one-owner boat from before her keel was laid. She was repowered with a Betamarine 14 a couple of years ago and the engine has less than 200 hours running time to date. Everything on Rhiannon has been reworked and customized (either professionally by me or someone working under my close supervision) and the boat is vastly improved over stock condition with first class equipment and sails throughout. She was one of the last 27's built, hull number 270. I have many pictures to share.

The CD-27 is a very small vessel compared to other 27 footers so it may not be such a stretch to think of her as more of a 25. The 27 is also the best sailor of the entire Cape Dory line, another plus if performance and ease of handling is a consideration.

My situation is this. I have reached 3/4 of a century in age with attendant physical limitations that prevent me from taking care of Rhiannon as she requires. I am also moving to my daughter's family farm near Everette, WA in early spring of 2014. We have planned for me to liveaboard at the Everette Marina, 8 miles from their home. I have lived aboard Rhiannon years ago while I built my home here in Oriental so this isn't a far fetched concept except that earlier liveaboard experience was 24 years ago and I was (of course) younger, stronger, healthier, more agile and more resilient back then. Time has tested all these things and many of the shortcomings they present could be resolved by a larger boat. The CD-30K, being my absolute favorite of the entire Cape Dory line, would provide a more liveable craft that better fits the Pacific NW waters and, more importantly at this latter point in life, a more soul satisfying experience all around.

I'm throwing this out as a possibility. If you think there's enough here to warrant further discussion I'm open to doing so. If not, it won't hurt my feelings ... but like Wayne Gretksy once said after scoring the winning goal in the Stanley Cup finals, "I miss 100% of the shots I don't take".

There would be some interesting challenges in doing this but nothing insurmountable.

Please let me hear from you.

Thanks,

Andy Denmark

Home: 252-249-2711

Cell: 252-670-4207

email: eastingdown (at) gmail (dot) com
s/v Rhiannon

"In order to be old and wise, one first must have been young and stupid ...
Adamhagan

Post by Adamhagan »

I am always mindful of not becoming attached to material objects, but the thought of you away from Rhiannon, a boat you've owned for 30+ years gives me pause.

I agree, I am partial to the CD30k. This guy I know told me it was wonderfully balanced boat, which is why I bought one. Ohh yeah, that was you!

Just a few weeks back we pulled anchor leaving Port Jefferson, NY with winds over 20kts against the tide (forcast was for 10kts) and we entered the sound with jib and jigger cutting nicely through the waves. Kristi was only nervous when a Benetau getting rolled out of their mind started to drift our way before doing a 180 and heading back in. Then I knew I had a good boat!

The level Rhiannon has been maintained I might be headed back to Oriental! Please keep me posted Andy if you head up this way or if you need a companion delivering Rhiannon up north! My track record this year of the coast of NJ isn't so good; but maybe you like being hove-to for a few days or enjoy fixing engines with 25kts on the stern?

Godspeed Andy
Kind Regards,

Adam
Russell

Post by Russell »

Having personally seen and sailed on Rhiannon and been aboard several times, I can attest to the fact that she is in top condition, certainly the best condition CD27 I have personally seen.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
joelcunningham
Keyport, NJ

Post by joelcunningham »

I'm confused. Are you still in Jersey or have you moved south? I'm interested in your 30K and have a 1981 cd25 (not a D) She's fun and easy to sail and comes with a sturdy tandem axle trailer. She's on mooring in Keyport harbor and will be pulled in a week or so. Send me a private if your are interested and still in New Jersey. Thanks.