SunShine gets a BJ in the Philippines

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

fenixrises

SunShine gets a BJ in the Philippines

Post by fenixrises »

Hi all,

Sunshine got a bottom job this past weekend.

Tied against the wall at the local "marina" and using the tides made the job pretty easy.

My self and two local workers scrubbed and sanded while the water went down and painted while the water rose. It was possible to get on two coats. On Sunshine that takes two gals plus a bit of thinner.
All this was done on Friday morning and afternoon into the early evening.

I waited for the Saturday tide to put on a third coat by myself. That's a third gallon.

In the pics you can see that the aux rudder and the prop and strut are a different color. Last year I decided to experiment a bit. I removed the rudder and cleaned it up. Then I applied a couple of new coats of epoxy. Then I mixed copper powder with the epoxy and applied two coats of that mixture. I finish by applying a light dusting of copper powder to the still slightly tacky surface. That way there was a coating of pure copper on the rudder.

I was very happy with the results. Since the epoxy is very hard compared to ablative paint it will stand very hard scrubbing. Even a light burnishing with 120 grit wet/dry paper.
I did this last year and decided to use the concoction on the prop and strut as well.

I added the copper powder to the paint as well. Altogether 2 kilos. At 1,000 piso per kilo that's about US$50 worth of copper.

FYI Here is the price break down:

3 gals(4 liters) Dutch bottom paint. P4,300/can X 3 = P12,900 = about $320US
2 gals(4 liters) Thinner for above. P590/can X 2 = P1,180 = about $30US
Sand paper, roller sleeves, brushes and general clean up stuff = about $25US
2 men's labor and use of the "Wall" for the weekend. = P3,000 = about $75US

Not too bad! Right?

You should always have an odd number of holes in your boat!
tartansailor

Re: SunShine gets a BJ in the Philippines

Post by tartansailor »

It's always god to hear of SUNSHINE'S adventures trials, triumphs, and general nautical happenings.
Where is she now?
Regards,
Dick
Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
fenixrises

Post by fenixrises »

Hi all,

I answer to Dick's question Sunshine is in Port Carmen, Cebu Island, Philippines.
The central islands of the Fils are called the Visayas.
I put in a mooring here last year. A big 80kg cast iron fisherman with 10 meters of
17mm stud link chain and 25 meters of 22mm polyprop line. Quite secure in my average depth of
4~5 meters.
Sunshine is at 10*35'N X 124*02'E.

I have a route plot from OpenCPM if anyone is interested.

I am flying to the US at the end of May for a 6 week visit. Plan to go to the east coast and SoCal to visit
friends and family.

Later this year I plan to do a six month cruise over to Thailand via the Philippines, Malaysian Borneo, Brunei, the Malay peninsula and Thailand. And then return next spring.

Right now the SW monsoons are getting ready to start. Not a real safe time for sailing this area as May is also the start of typhoon season. Not much to the north unless you go to Japan. And getting south or west against the SW monsoon is no fun.

So here I will sit doing boat chores and maintenance until the fall.

Take care all and have a good summer sailing,
Fred

PS this is where my mooring is located. If you look straight out from the beach over my dingy, Sunshine is just off to the right side of the picture.

You should always have an odd number of holes in your boat!
chase

Post by chase »

Great idea Fred with the copper. I'd really like to do my bottom one day without hauling out.

Enjoy your spring/summer travels-

Chase
Cheoah - Pacific Seacraft 34
formerly, Anne Freeman CD30 #169
Lower Broad Creek, NC