Removing glow plugs from Universal M25

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Mike Davis

Removing glow plugs from Universal M25

Post by Mike Davis »

I would like to change the glow plugs since it takes a good while with the ones I have in the engine. They are probably 30 years old. They are frozen. Any suggestions to loosen them? Has anyone done this before?
Mike Davis
Mike Davis

Re: Removing glow plugs from Universal M25

Post by Mike Davis »

It takes a good while to start the engine with my present glow plugs.
Phil Shedd
Rothesay NB Canada
Membership # 89

Post by Phil Shedd »

Mike

I thought I had bad glow plugs a couple years ago. I was going to change them but first I took off the wires to the plugs. Them I tested them for conductivity and they passed. When I took of the wires I noticed that the wire ends and the plug terminal were dirty. So I cleaned the wire ends and the plugs to bright metal. I did this right back to the key switch and the feed to the switch. This includes replacing the glow plug button. I also used dielectric grease on all connections . When all was but back together the glow plugs drew a lot more current and worked a lot better and the engine started quicker.

Try this it may help

Phil
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Phil, this is the kind of information I really appreciate hearing. While I have not had any glow plug issues with Raven, I will be cleaning those contacts the next time I am down on the boat. This sort of heads up info on preventative maintenance is one of the things I love about this board. If a whole bunch of owners are having issues with one area of their boats, it is in your best interest to take a close look at that area even if it doesn't seem to be a problem just yet.

Thank you , Steve.
John M

Post by John M »

Have you checked the voltage at the plugs. I believe the M25 uses the same panel configuration as my M18. The Glow current goes out to the panel through two connectors, goes through the ignition switch and the glow plug switch then back to the Glow plugs through the same two connectors. This can accumulate a very significant voltage drop. You may benefit from installing a relay for the glow plug circuit. This is predicated on my assumption that the wiring is similar to that on my M18.
John M.
moctrams
Location: 1982 Cape Dory 30C,Gabbiano,Hull # 265,Flag Harbor,Long Beach, Md.

Post by moctrams »

You may wish to make the following upgrade while you are checking your glow plugs. I recently rewired a CD30C's engine harness making the changes as shown on the following link.
http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/univ ... ade&page=1
eb1smith
s/v Larissa

Post by eb1smith »

Universal M-25 is a Kubota Block D-850, you can get the glow plugs from a Kubota tractor dealer, part number 15951-6551-0.