Procedure to step the mast on a CD22?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

hwh888

Procedure to step the mast on a CD22?

Post by hwh888 »

Getting ready to step the mast on my CD22 but not sure if all shroud lines should be connected first or just some.
I'm thinking the lower front ones might prevent the mast from being raised? Anyone have experience doing this?
Would I connect the top shroud only or what?
I'm thinking after looking at the setup there might be a "over center" problem when it's at the 45 deg point?
My plan is to prop the mast on a cradle & then with the two jib lines pull it up with my vehicle.
Many Thanks,
Harry
tartansailor

Re: Procedure to step the mast on a CD22?

Post by tartansailor »

Get a copy ofTHE SAILOR'S SKETCHBOOK BY Bruce Bingham
Seven Seas Press. Usually can be found in used bookstores like Alibris, etc.
That book will explain all with diagrams. It works for me.
Dick
Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

hwh888 wrote: My plan is to prop the mast on a cradle & then with the two jib lines pull it up with my vehicle.
Your plan sounds reasonable except for the use of the vehicle. I have used a vehicle for heavy lifting of beams and pulling trees. I never actually use the motion of the vehicle though. You have very little control and very poor visibility when you are in the truck. It is far better to take up some tension and then park the vehicle to be used as an anchor point.

For mast raising you would want the tie off point to be as high and or as far away as possible. I would then add a block and tackle or a snatch block and go to a winch. This will give you much better control and no chance of sudden movements. Make sure that you don't pull the trailer instead of raising the mast.

I once watched some guys try to pull a large tree while attempting to cut it down. By the time they finally cut enough to get the tree to fall the clutch was smoking and slipping to the point that the truck became worthless, steve.
seasailor55

Post by seasailor55 »

I raise the mast on my CD22 by myself by doing the following:

1) Attach the backstay and cap shrouds to control the mast until it's up.

2) Install the rear pin in the maststep assembly, anchoring the foot of the mast.

3) Unpin the gooseneck from the boom and pin the boom to a padeye installed in the front of the bottom of the mast, then stand it vertical and rig some temporary guy ropes from the chainplates to the top of the boom to hold it upright.

4) Attach the cleated main halyard or jib halyard to the top end of the boom.

5) Attach the trailer winch line to the top end of the boom and take up on the trailer winch, lowering the boom down toward the bow, which pulls the mast upright. A block and tackle from the boom end to the stemhead fitting would also work.

7) Attach the forestay and lower shrouds, pin the front of the maststep, tension the rig, remove the temporary guy ropes, then unpin the boom and remount the goosenck.

Takes about twenty minutes single handed. Reverse the steps to lower the mast.
Seasailor55
tartansailor

Post by tartansailor »

seasailor55 wrote:I raise the mast on my CD22 by myself by doing the following:

1) Attach the backstay and cap shrouds to control the mast until it's up.

2) Install the rear pin in the maststep assembly, anchoring the foot of the mast.

3) Unpin the gooseneck from the boom and pin the boom to a padeye installed in the front of the bottom of the mast, then stand it vertical and rig some temporary guy ropes from the chainplates to the top of the boom to hold it upright.

4) Attach the cleated main halyard or jib halyard to the top end of the boom.

5) Attach the trailer winch line to the top end of the boom and take up on the trailer winch, lowering the boom down toward the bow, which pulls the mast upright. A block and tackle from the boom end to the stemhead fitting would also work.

7) Attach the forestay and lower shrouds, pin the front of the maststep, tension the rig, remove the temporary guy ropes, then unpin the boom and remount the goosenck.

Takes about twenty minutes single handed. Reverse the steps to lower the mast.
That's exactly how it is explained and drawn, in Bingham's book, with added security features.
A truck is way over kill, where as the boom as a leaver and reasonable strength of 1 man is all you need.
It is a 1 man job.

Dick
Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
John Martin

Post by John Martin »

A couple of thoughts to add to above:

Are you rigging the boat in the water, or on a trailer on land?

One or two lifters/pushers on the mast, inside the boat, and a puller on the dock, pulling on a halyard from the mast head. Using a vehicle is way overkill. You don't have to use the gin pole method if you have 3 or 4 helpers.

When you are about 3/4 of getting the mast vertical, STOP, inspect the turnbuckles, make sure there are no kinks.

Build a lifter pole. A length of 2x2 with a 'Y' at the top end. It helps control/lift the mast.

The book mentioned above by Bingham is fabulous. It is packed full of great ideas. It is out of print and out of pub, you will have look around to find it.

Luck,

John
John & Nancy Martin
Sailing on Lake Lanier just NE of Atlanta
CD31 #85 "Carina" 1985
hwh888

Post by hwh888 »

Thanks everyone for the advice........
The previous owner always stepped while on the trailer, which is my plan.
He used two helpers to pull the mast upright, I've see other sailors use a vehicle.
I have a flat straight area where I could use my vehicle. Just was not sure if only the top mast shroud is all I would need to pin to the chain plate or if I should/can attach the lower fore and aft shroud lines also with the turnbuckles loosened first?
Seems all I would need is the top mast shrouds pinned & when upright attach the lowers for & aft.
Many Thanks,
Harry
tartansailor

Post by tartansailor »

Pin mast base plate hinge.
Put plenty of slack in all.
Pin rear stay.
Pin upper shrouds.
Pin rear lower shrouds.
Raise mast. (I first used use an extension ladder rung to get up to ~ 45* [before Bingham])
Pin forward stay.
Pin rear shrouds.
Tune up.

Dick
Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam