25D head modification for you wood workers

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

rtbates

25D head modification for you wood workers

Post by rtbates »

A few years ago I added this mod to Seraph's head. Greatly improves seating when NOT using the head. It also hids the head when not in use. I've since added a sunbrella curtain that hangs down the front when the seat's not raised. This further hides the front of the head.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Randy 25D Seraph #161
bhartley
CD25D #184 "Pyxis"

CDSOA Member #785

Re: 25D head modification for you wood workers

Post by bhartley »

I like it! Most of the time our head is used as a "changing room" for guests. This design would sure work better for that. I may even have enough scrap teak lying around...

Bly
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

"Scrap Teak"??? You must not have priced it recently. In saint Louis it is now $29/bd ft.
That is a beautiful modification. We have a composting Air-Head on Sláinte. I would like to hide it, but it is already too tall, I don't think I could have a bench that would be even an inch higher.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
rtbates

Post by rtbates »

thanks for the compliments guys. It's made out of red oak from Homedepot. Biggest time consumer was mocking it up. First out of cardboard, then 1/4 fiber board. It's really nice to have the entire area flat and free to use as a temp shelf when pulling stuff out of the two lockers.
Randy 25D Seraph #161
tartansailor

Post by tartansailor »

The execution as well as the thought process behind it certainly deserves compliment.
That's my next project.
With respect to wood prices, Burmese teak @ $24.95 / bd. ft. here is ridiculous to consider
when Sapele mahogany is so much more warm and beautiful, and $4.15 for 5/4.
Dick
Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
bhartley
CD25D #184 "Pyxis"

CDSOA Member #785

Post by bhartley »

I have scraps of teak left over from the new toe rails on a Typhoon I rebuilt and salvage teak (doors/drawers/rails) from a boat that was scrapped. I also have a stockpile of teak trays, etc. which I pick up for < $1.00. The shorter pieces are perfect for a project like this one. They are all too short for use in a cockpit grate, but perfect (I hope) for this project! Interested in sharing your plans/dimensions?
rtbates

Post by rtbates »

bhartley wrote:I have scraps of teak left over from the new toe rails on a Typhoon I rebuilt and salvage teak (doors/drawers/rails) from a boat that was scrapped. I also have a stockpile of teak trays, etc. which I pick up for < $1.00. The shorter pieces are perfect for a project like this one. They are all too short for use in a cockpit grate, but perfect (I hope) for this project! Interested in sharing your plans/dimensions?
No plans were ever created. I simply started by mocking it up with cardboard and foamboard and let it evolve from there. Originally it was going to be a box but that was too bulky, so I ended up with the slat cover with slated side panels.

This picture is of the first generation with the full box mock up and the sides being mocked up with card board
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Randy 25D Seraph #161
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Post by Joe Myerson »

Impressive set-up, Randy. It makes that large forward compartment so much more useful. And the red oak looks great. For some reason, I thought red oak was not supposed to be very good for marine applications--but that might have to do with bending or something.

Anyway, a nice job!

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Red Oak does not bend extremely well and has open pores that make it somewhat more susceptible to rot than some other woods. White Oak and Ash have better bending qualities.

If you are not bending it or exposing it to the elements Red Oak is a fine choice. Ash is already in use in the form of ceiling strips and would make a nice seat. If you go to a good hardwood supplier they have other tropical woods that are a close match to teak. I have used Ipe for some exterior woodwork and you would be hard pressed to tell it from teak, except for the price.

I have added some Ash and Walnut details to Raven's interior and feel that it adds some nice accents to the mostly Teak woodwork, Steve.
bhartley
CD25D #184 "Pyxis"

CDSOA Member #785

Post by bhartley »

Does the center piece rest on cleats attached to the side pieces or does it rest directly on the toilet seat? Are the side pieces permanently attached?

Thanks!
Dean Abramson

Post by Dean Abramson »

That is fantastic! We used to have a 25D. That is a great addition. Very nicely done!

I always felt that the head had more potential in it.

One thing we did and liked on the 25D was to get rid of the fold-up cushions/backs, and replace them with some big throw pillows. Lots more room and flexibility.

We loved our 25D.

Dean
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
rtbates

Post by rtbates »

I've bent red oak after soaking it in water for a day or so. No problem when used INDOORS, below deck. Having said that I have a outside bench that I replaced the rotten wood with red oak 10 years ago. Might make it another 10. I clen and seal it every so often.

The seat rests on both the top of the head and cleats on the side pieces.
Randy 25D Seraph #161
Keith Wood

Post by Keith Wood »

Very nice modification that I may put on my list of things to do. I think that since it is inside and not exposed to anything more than showers most any kind of wood would be fine. Thanks for sharing.
Dick Barthel

Post by Dick Barthel »

rtbates wrote:thanks for the compliments guys. It's made out of red oak from Homedepot. Biggest time consumer was mocking it up. First out of cardboard, then 1/4 fiber board. It's really nice to have the entire area flat and free to use as a temp shelf when pulling stuff out of the two lockers.
Randy,

DW is still underwraps so I can't visualize actually accessing the lockers. Is it a reach or is the distance so short it's not an issue? t does give it a big ship look! Nice work.

Dick
trapper
CD25D, Lake Murray SC

Post by trapper »

Very nice!