Moving to NYC

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Adamhagan

Moving to NYC

Post by Adamhagan »

After 2 awesome years of sailing the North Carolina Pamlico Sound ( on the wonderful advice of a long time CDSOA member) I will be moving back to NYC this summer.

I have completed two duty stations as an Army dentist and have decided to get out and do another residency in pediatrics at Mount Sinai.

It is in upper east side of Manhattan, so what would be some ideal mooring/slip locations for my CD30 (thankfully, residents get greatly subsidized housing)?

Conditions:
-I will be taking a 75% cut in pay for two years so I won't be pulling up to the fancy place anytime soon...or ever. I have some boat bucks stashed to cover fees for a couple years.
- I will have car access.
- My crew consist of my beautiful wife (who loves sailing), my 6 y/o daughter/first mate, and 2 y/o daughter.
-- The boat is rigged with autopilot and I routinely single-hand.

Any Suggestions?
Kind Regards,

Adam
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Re: Moving to NYC

Post by Oswego John »

Hi Doc,

City Island, and Bayside, Queens.

Thanks for your service to us.

O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
tartansailor

Post by tartansailor »

Nyack Boat Club
Wonderful folks there.
Dick
Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
Mike Davis

Post by Mike Davis »

I like where I keep my boat in Brooklyn at Gateway Marina. It is very close to Rockaway Inlet, so the ocean is nearby. Not far from Sandy Hook, NJ, and also close to the Hudson River and East River. I like it more than Long Island Sound. It is also reasonably priced.
Ron M.

Post by Ron M. »

not sure if it's too much out of your way, Sheepshead Bay YC has always been very accommodating. Have made it a point to stay a few days when headed south. Friendly bunch.
CD 30c #42
S/V "Bluesails"
+ 41.69989
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Mostly day sails, overnight cruising or a bit more than that?

I agree with OJ as far as best sailing waters within easy reach, probably for any of the above.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Adamhagan

Post by Adamhagan »

Neil,

The family is fond of long weekends, with 2-3 days onboard. We plan to explore as much as possible.

Thank you to everyone. As my friend Andy Denmark would say, it's "better than I deserve."
Kind Regards,

Adam
Hummel

Post by Hummel »

Adam

Shattemuc Yacht Club On the Hudson River just above the Tappan Zee Bridge.

Easy train ride to Ossining stop. A few members live in NYC and spend the weekends on their boat. Family oriented

Shattemucyc.org

All the best

Jim
Jim
svreleaseme

Post by svreleaseme »

Hey Adam,
As you can see from the replies there is plenty of sailing around NYC. What caught my eye was you wrote that the family is fond of long weekends, with 2-3 days on board. Although all the places mentioned would give you this in one form or another. To have the added advantage of a bigger cruising ground, someplace on Long Island sound would be in ideal I think. From City Island east to say Milford Ct. are great places to keep your boat. It is a matter of the balancing of how close you want your boat vs how uncrowded you want your sailing grounds to be. City Island is a great place with lots of tradition, sailboats and sailors. It is close to the city. But as you can see from a chart, the sound is narrow here and it can be very congested with sailboats and commercial traffic. The further east you go the sound opens up for more relaxed sailing and you get closer to more destinations. IMO. For ten years we opted to take the train from the city out to Milford Ct. (As far as you could go on one train) Because we were most interested in the eastern end of Long Island Sound but there is plenty to be said for the western end close to City Island, Mamaroneck, Rye N.Y. area. Lots of great options. It's just about whats important to you. Good luck with the new adventure.
Joe Montana
Member 781

Post by Joe Montana »

Adam, the nooks and crannies around NYC covered in this book aren't necessarily made for a boat the size of yours, but they're interesting to read about.

http://www.amazon.com/At-Sea-City-Water ... y+new+york

P.S. I think I'd lean toward City Island as a home base.
Oswego John

Post by Oswego John »

Deja Vu anyone?

Almost ten years or so ago this question was previously asked, but I forgot the answer maybe nine years ago.

What with the bridge heights considered, can a medium sized sailboat, say 27' to 32' long, sail or motor on the Harlem River from the Hudson River to Hell Gate?

I remember that there was a swing arm gate across the river for railroad tracks on the NY Central line from NYC to Albany and onward.

O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Oswego John wrote:Deja Vu anyone?

Almost ten years or so ago this question was previously asked, but I forgot the answer maybe nine years ago.

What with the bridge heights considered, can a medium sized sailboat, say 27' to 32' long, sail or motor on the Harlem River from the Hudson River to Hell Gate?

I remember that there was a swing arm gate across the river for railroad tracks on the NY Central line from NYC to Albany and onward.

O J
24' clearance except Spuyten Duyval, which is 5. Reports are the bridges rarely open as NYC will not allow more than one to open at a time. If one gets stuck in the open position you could be trapped between two others.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Steve Darwin

Post by Steve Darwin »

Chart 12342. Several cruise companies run "Round Manhattan" cruises, so you could follow one of them them through the river, no?
Steve Darwin
CD 25D "Arabella"
Fairhaven, Mass
Oswego John

Post by Oswego John »

Hi Steve,

Circle Line and other sight seeing lines run "Round Manhattan" tours. These are semi low profile ships, by design low enough to easily pass under the bridges that span the Harlem River.

The Hell Gate and Harlem River area is affected by natural tides. There are varying current flows from slack to swift caused by the tides. It can get hairy in that area at certain times. I've travelled the Harlem River years back with my work boat, having little or no concern with what the tide was.

I have never sailed the Harlem. Most often, people sail down the Hudson, pass below Manhattan Island at the Battery, and return up to Hell Gate and Long Island Sound via the East River.

Out of curiousity, I'm wondering if your chart or any other readers charts show the clearance beneath these bridges?

Thanks,
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Oswego John

Post by Oswego John »

Neil,

Sorry man, I didn't see your earlier post with the bridge height info.

Thanks,
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490