CD36 boom height

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Troy Scott

CD36 boom height

Post by Troy Scott »

Folks,
This information for which I'm looking is probably here somewhere, but I've had no luck finding it; so here goes:
On a later model Cape Dory36 (T cockpit, if it makes a difference) in original configuration, how high is the bottom of the boom above the forward end of the cockpit sole or above the bridge deck? I could come close by using the dividers to derive this information from a lines drawing. I have tried to measure the various parts to deduce this information. However, the best way to be really sure is to measure boats with the rigging actually in place. Mine is, sadly, still in the hangar and in pieces. But this coming Summer is promising!
Regards,
Troy Scott
Regards,
Troy Scott
Matt Cawthorne
Hull # 79

It can be whatever you want it to be.

Post by Matt Cawthorne »

Troy, I am 6 feet 1 inch tall, and I had a bimini made that was 2 inches above my head. The main sail used to hit the bimini so I cut the foot of the sail so as to raise the clew. Problem fixed. I suppose you could raise the goose neck as well, but the bolts for that are now thoroughly locked into the mast so it would be a bigger effort to move it. If you are thinking about a bimini, don't skimp on head room.

Matt
Troy Scott

Re: CD36 boom height

Post by Troy Scott »

Thanks, Matt! This is helpful. I suspect that the foot of my mainsail has been trimmed like yours, but I've never had it out of the bag, so I don't actually know! :roll:
I'm sure that raising the aft end of the boom a little is a good idea.
Regards,
Troy Scott