New Prop Quote

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

2tocruise
Little Creek, VA
Currently in Annapolis, MD

New Prop Quote

Post by 2tocruise »

Just got a quote back for upgrading our 13x11 2 blade fixed prop to a 3 blade. They recommended a 13x7x1 prop. From searching the archives it seems most CD28s have gone with a 13x10 or 13x9 3-blade, a much higher pitch than we were quoted. Anyone have any thoughts or experience with a 7in pitch?

we have a universal M-18 diesel, so that will change things from most of the CDs with Volvo engines.
Twenty years from now, you will be more disapointed by the things you didn't do than by the things you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
- Mark Twain
Duncan
Montreal, QC

Re: New Prop Quote

Post by Duncan »

That sizing is about the same as recommended at:
http://www.vicprop.com/displacement_size.php
I did get 12.4 X 9.9 with a freeware prop calculator, though, so I guess there is quite a bit of variance in these calculators.

Considering that engines tend to lose power and boats tend to gain weight over time, I think that erring on the side of lower pitch is probably wise
Loren
Chaumont, NY

Re: New Prop Quote

Post by Loren »

I repowered with a Yanmar 2GM20F in 1998. Currently have over 3000 hrs on engine. I have a 3 blade Michigan 12 X 14 prop. Did not go with a 13 inch due to low clearance.

Loren