Shaft Log Hose - Need Advice

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Gary H

Shaft Log Hose - Need Advice

Post by Gary H »

I am nearly ready to reinstall my Yanmar engine in my CD22D. I plan to replace the engine mounts and will repack the stuffing box. It seems sensible to replace the shaft log hose while I have the engine out but the job looks a bit intimidating. Can anyone who has done this give any advise on what can go wrong and how to go about the replacement. I anticipate that installing the new hose may be harder than it looks.

Both the cutlass bearing and shaft were replaced by the PO but the paperwork makes no mention of replacing the hose and it doesn't look all that new.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CDSOA Member 1389
johnny of STORK
Taos, NM
San Carlos, Sonora, MX

Re: Shaft Log Hose - Need Advice

Post by johnny of STORK »

With the engine out, it shouldn't be that bad. When I did mine (CD-30), the hardest part, by far, was removing the engine. I tried several different ways of doing it without engine removal, and finally bit the bullet. It was a bit of a hassle, getting the hose out from all the fiberglass debris that was apparently dumped in there at the end of construction, but it did come.

Johnny
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Where else on your boat would you trust a 35 year old hose?

I would definitely replace it although it might have already been done once from the look of those hose clamps. I did mine a few years ago when I had the engine out. I would not want to attempt the job with the engine in place. Even though the cutlass bearing has been replaced it will never be easier to do than it is right now and then you will know exactly where you stand.

It is also time to paint, replace hoses and upgrade any wiring that might need it and add any sound dampening you might have in mind. Having the engine out is a rare opportunity to get at a lot of things that are otherwise very hard to deal with, Steve.
Gary H

Post by Gary H »

Thank you Steve and Johnny. This are just the type of words of encouragement that I needed. I will let you know how I make out.
Gary
CDSOA Member 1389
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

Spartan sells these hoses as well as a very high grade hose clamp without thread knock outs.
The threads are pressed into the band but no slots.
I'm not an expert on corrosion but less area exposed seems better.

GD
Ron M.

Post by Ron M. »

Considered a dripless saft seal like PYS ? Not hard to install and maintain. Put one on 5 yrs. back with excellent results so far.
CD 30c #42
S/V "Bluesails"
+ 41.69989
Gary H

Post by Gary H »

So far so good. The hose came off the shaft log easier than I expected. Now - any recommendations on whether to try and remove the coupling facing the engine or to remove the prop and pull the shaft forward. The shaft is less than 8 years old so I am hoping that the coupling is not too rusted. I am somewhat concerned with the potential difficulty of removing and replacing the coupling. I tend to over think these things.
Jim Davis
Edgewater, MD

Post by Jim Davis »

With the engine out of the way there is a lot less aggravation in pulling the prop and pulling the shaft into the boat.
Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei