Electrical Cable Routing

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

O'Neal

Electrical Cable Routing

Post by O'Neal »

I recently purchased a 1981 CD-30C (Hull # 0220) with no power to the mast. Some investigation found the mast wire cut near the electrical panel, but with a significant portion of the wire stuffed between the liner and coach roof under the mast step. The VHF antenna coax was found in a similar state. I am unclear as how to route the wires aft to the electrical panel. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Todd Nelson
rorik

Re: Electrical Cable Routing

Post by rorik »

On my CD28 the wires were run on the top side of the edge of the cabin top liner.
I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request. Means no.
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

On Rhapsody (25D) I was able to snake new coax and wiring between the liner and the coachtop. Also, that is where the original wiring/coax was located. Not easy, but we got it dun!

Good Luck and Fair Winds
Bill Member #250.
Maine_Buzzard

Post by Maine_Buzzard »

Lots of foam and sealants between the liner and outer skin on Guppy. Tried the fish tape to run the mashead cable, gave up and routed the cable next to the VHF cable that the P.O. had given up on. Wires run along the roof interior to the bulkhead, then down to the side opening. Not pretty, but very functional. I have a terminal block for the three wires and use a through hull fitting on the cable. I seem to have a second undrilled plug that I put in when the cable is removed in winter.

One could cut a 2 - 3" plug out just at the corner in the interior, and jam a thin bar through whatever was there. If I get smart, I'll X-ray the cabin sides one day to see where things are buggered up. Much easier than random holes...
O'Neal

Post by O'Neal »

Thanks for all the guidance. I ended up having the wiring routed from a terminal block underneath the mast along the exterior of the starboard bulkhead to the edge of the liner, then aft. It appears the original mast wires and VHF coax were epoxied or glassed between the liner and coach roof. Unfortunately, there was no room to run more wires aft under the roof. The exterior route is unobtrusive and can be covered with a teak box later if it bothers me aesthetically. I'm just happy to have lights on the mast again.
hoehnt

Post by hoehnt »

I need to set up my CD30 for shore power. should I use 10 gauge from the shore power connector to the breaker switch, then 12 gauge to the outlets? I think Ill have 3 or 4 outlets. Want to be able to run a small microwave and a coffee maker.

What kind of outlets should I use? Are there special marine grade ones? Thinking I should have 1 outlet in the galley area, 1 near the bulkhead, and one up in head, and 1 in the V-berth area.