1 GM water pump

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

John G.

1 GM water pump

Post by John G. »

Installed new impellar and gasket, started engine and now have water dripping from what looks like behind water pump and under the engine on the port side maybe halfway in between front and back of engine. Engine was not started last year, pumps water fine, is it time for a new water pump, if so is this a job for a mechanic or has anyone replaced one without running into to much difficulty. Water drips probably once every 10 seconds or less.
Dick Kobayashi
Location: Former owner of 3 CDs, most recently Susan B, a 25D

Re: 1 GM water pump

Post by Dick Kobayashi »

Not that I am an expert, but... the place where the drip forms and then drops is not usually the place where the leak is. I suggest drying the engine with an absorbent cloth or similar, starting the engine and closely observing the route by which water gets to the drip point. You may find a leaking hose or siimlar or even find that the gasket you put in the pump doesn't quite do the job. I suspect, however that during two years of non-use may a hose may have become brittle and is leaking a bit.
Dick K
CD 25D Susan B #104
Mattapoisett, MA

Fleet Captain - Northeast Fleet 2014/2015

Tempus Fugit. And not only that, it goes by fast. (Ron Vacarro 1945 - 1971)
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Dick's advise is good but it sounds like the water pump seal. It is not good to have seawater dripping over your engine.

When I had my purchase survey done for Raven, the surveyor advised me to keep an eye on the water pump. Sure enough, in a couple of years it began to leak. You can rebuild or replace. I chose to replace. Not only was everything brand new but the pump cover had been redesigned with an O ring seal instead of a very thin, paper gasket. This was a Universal engine so your situation may be different.

The change out was pretty simple, Steve.
rtbates

Post by rtbates »

Our 25D's water pump was leaking when we bought her. I realize that's what was rusting the external oil pipes that run across the front of the motor. NOT GOOD, especially when they start spewing oil.

I bought a new pump and kept the old as a spare.

I also highly recommend a SPEED SEAL...
Randy 25D Seraph #161
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

To paraphrase my Dad from 50 years ago, "Son, if you're working on an engine and something doesn't work right go back to the last thing you touched. You probably did it wrong." :)

Assuming everything was working and no leaks before replacing the impeller and o-ring (or gasket), I would first look at the impeller/o-ring seal, cover, screws, etc. as a possible source of the leak.

Also, if you do not have one installed, I would recommend installing the Speed Seal. http://www.speedseal.com/speedseal.html

After several on this board recommended it, I installed one on S/V Bali Ha'i. Although I have not yet had to do so it makes replacing the impeller and o-ring much easier.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil