Water Leaking From Rudder Shaft at Base of Tiller

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

tomahawk1977

Water Leaking From Rudder Shaft at Base of Tiller

Post by tomahawk1977 »

Hi All,

While motoring I noticed a steady trickle of water coming up through the rudder exiting at the base of the tiller. The problem becomes more significant with more speed. After a few trips out the problem seems to be getting worse almost as if whatever seal was keeping the ocean out, may have been corroded and now is non-existent. When I first noticed the problem the leaking would stop if I slowed the boat down. Now if the boat is moving, she is leaking.

I recently installed an 8hp high thrust Yamaha that pushes the boat along beautifully. It seems the problem started or at least became a more visible issue after the engine was put in. The boat is well taken care of and I examined the rudder while on the hard before putting her in 2 weeks ago. There were no obvious signs of the problem.

Has anyone had this issue before? Can I fix the issue at the dock without having to haul her out?

Thanks in advance!
Ben Coombs
King's Point, West Bath, ME

Re: Water Leaking From Rudder Shaft at Base of Tiller

Post by Ben Coombs »

I have seen water coming in from my rudder too... I am fairly certain, after investigating, that the rudder post is glassed in, and shouldn't leak. The tube, however, is open to the water, but is normally above the waterline. As the boat bears down under power, and the weight in the stern, water shoots up through once in a while. Someone that knows better, please fill me in! this is what I figured out crawling through the boat... But there is the sump area that is uninspectable.
Ben Coombs
sfreihofer

Post by sfreihofer »

I agree with your analysis, Ben. I didn't find any kind of seal on the rudder shaft when I disassembled mine for repairs. Water can work its way up through the rudder post (tube) along the shaft. Forward motion will enhance this effect because the post is reclined. Any water entering the boat this way will drain out the cockpit drains. The rudder post itself (if it is structurally intact) keeps the water out of the bilge.

Stan Freihofer
1981 CD 25 #794 "Pearl"
Ft. Lauderdale
www.ReefRoof.com (for reconstruction details)
Instant Bubble-head. Just add water.
Ben Coombs
King's Point, West Bath, ME

Post by Ben Coombs »

Thanks Stan.

Still working towards a new head! But the new motor mount construction is going to be as far as I get before launch. But it could be done in the water, all the through hulls are ready.

Planning to keep the water tank full to help with trim, and rudder splashback. The biggest bilge filler is the peeled up tabbing at the bottom of the motor well. Some thickened epoxy and a bit I fabric should keep me dry this year!
Ben Coombs
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

The new engine could be part of the problem.

If this problem gets worse as the stern squats a bit, the added weight of a larger, or just heavier, engine would have an effect. If it has more power and you are pushing the boat to near hull speed, this would also increase the amount of water coming in. If you are trying to push the boat beyond hull speed there will be significantly more stern squat. Another factor would be crew size and location. It sounds like you might want to have people sit forward in the cock pit.

The smaller the boat the more impact the crew has on balance. The Typhoon we used to sail was pretty sensitive to crew size and location. Too much weight aft in the cockpit and the scuppers would flood it. Going to the bow while motoring in choppy seas would cause the prop to cavitate or just plain spin in the air.

Stern rail seats would be nice on Raven but she already sits low in the stern so they are not in our future.

It could just be a matter of weight distribution and not a design problem at all, Steve.
sgbernd
CD-28 #359
Ventura, CA

Post by sgbernd »

Lots of CDs do this, and so does mine. The prop forces water up the tube which then trickles down the drain. There are several previous posts about trying to wrap the rudder shaft with packing material, pumping water resistant grease into the area between the shaft and the fibreglass tube, etc. Do a search on the entries as a fair amount has been tried over the years.

It is annoying, as anything that falls to floor of the cockpit gets wet and salty, but it doesn't really hurt anything as the water just runs down the drain. I look at it as one of those projects for a slow weekend where you can't find anything else to do.
-sgb