Typhoon Weekender Transom

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

jim ventrilio
S/V San Angelo

Typhoon Weekender Transom

Post by jim ventrilio »

At the very top of the Weekender's transom, did these boats leave the factory with a teak or metal edging? I have a series of small screw holes on my transom and have been wondering why they are there.

My hull # is 1631, a 1979 boat. Can anyone supply an answer?

Thanks,

Jim V
S/V San Angelo
Dave and Kathy

Re: Typhoon Weekender Transom

Post by Dave and Kathy »

Our Weekender is a 1975. At the interface between the teak trim across the transom and the hull there is a piece of aluminum trim with fastening screws about every 8 inches. The trim is about 1/2" wide with a flat side and a rounded side (NOT a 1/2 round cross section). It covers the gap beneath the teak trim. It's a pretty delicate piece and the screws are small. Sounds like yours is missing.
Dave and Kathy
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

If you go to Jamestown distributors web site you will see some brass half oval that would do the job very nicely. I could check but I believe the original was 1/2".

A six foot length would do nicely with a bit left over for other projects, Steve
TerBare

Post by TerBare »

I too have been working on my transom. Here is a pix of it with the aluminum rail at the top of my transom. I hope it helps. Took the pix to show the makers of my boat name label that it was defective, as you too can see. They are making me a new one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I am sorry for guessing at the width of the half oval. It is 5/8" and just a bit over 4' long. It has a pretty good bend in it to get around the transom so that might be why CD used aluminum but I have a TY with brass so is can be done. You might want to do some pre bending before you drill and countersink the holes as to achieve a fair radius.

Brass is expensive these days but pretty, Steve.
hoehnt

Post by hoehnt »

I used the brass half oval from Jamestown Distributors. Wasnt hard to make the bend.