ST2000 installation on CD27

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

cguthrie

ST2000 installation on CD27

Post by cguthrie »

Thanks to all who suggested the Raymarine ST2000 autopilot. As I prepare to install it, I wonder where the best place to mount it may be given the load it has to carry. I'm wary about putting the socket on the starboard cockpit locker cover (seat) given the relative thinness of the glass there and the fact that the hinges would have to carry the load. There may or may not be clearance for mounting it on the flat part of the seat behind the locker lid. The other option is the teak cockpit sidewall using a cantilever adapter for the unit -- again I wonder about the load here.

On another note - will this Raymarine unit tie in directly to my Garmin 440s or do I need some kind of adapter?
Cliff Guthrie
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Re: ST2000 installation on CD27

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Cliff:

The PO on my Cape Dory 25D installed an ST2000. He epoxyed a thick piece of wood (5"x5"x2") to the "underside" of the portside cockpit locker lid to support the ST2000. Sadly, I have only used the the ST2000 one time in very mild conditions (2-3 kts). It seemed to work OK. Not sure what would happen in 20-25 kts mixed seas.

I am a true rookie/tadpole at autopilots, etc. but I would think that if the system is set up properly (piston level to tiller attachment, straight, no binding) that the piston on the ST 2000 should handle it. It is a 90 degree angle pull - sort of like an anchor line on a bow cleat. The piston is being pulled/pushed 90 degrees to/from the attachment pin in the cockpit lid.

I am sure others will soon post with much more experience and better advise.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Dick Kobayashi
Location: Former owner of 3 CDs, most recently Susan B, a 25D

Post by Dick Kobayashi »

Ten years ago I bought Susan B and shortly thereafter a ST2000. I bolted the bracket (pin holder) directly to the cockpit locker cover. Have never had a problem. But if I had to do it again I'd think about a coaming attachment system as removing the cushion each time I use the ST200 can get irritating. Raymarine has a zillion different attachment adapters, but it has not been a big enough deal for me to revisit.
Dick K
CD 25D Susan B #104
Mattapoisett, MA

Fleet Captain - Northeast Fleet 2014/2015

Tempus Fugit. And not only that, it goes by fast. (Ron Vacarro 1945 - 1971)
bhartley
CD25D #184 "Pyxis"

CDSOA Member #785

Post by bhartley »

Pyxis had a autohelm installed by the PO with the socket on the port side seat locker. The locker lids are cored and they did not do anything to seal the hole causing some water intrusion damage. Seal those holes (including screw holes).

The only issue I have with the arm located on the seat is that our cockpit cushions are one piece. If the person who made them (aka. me) had thought about it, we would have had split cushions. I use the autohelm most often on calm days when I am alone and want to sit on the bow and enjoy the day so it isn't a major problem.
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Bly and Dick:

I "cleverly" solved the problem of the cockpit cushion interfering with the ST2000.

I bought a Cape Dory 25D without any cockpit cushions. :D

Instead of a long one piece cushion I have 2-3 "throw cushions" (2'x2') that I use as needed. It is also easier to store individual throw cushions than the large one piece cushions.

I did not realize how "clever" I was until you two mentioned the problem with the ST2000 and cockpit cushions. :wink:
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Dick Kobayashi
Location: Former owner of 3 CDs, most recently Susan B, a 25D

Post by Dick Kobayashi »

Robert, I think you can now drop the moniker "Tadpole Sailor", what you replace it with is...
Dick K
CD 25D Susan B #104
Mattapoisett, MA

Fleet Captain - Northeast Fleet 2014/2015

Tempus Fugit. And not only that, it goes by fast. (Ron Vacarro 1945 - 1971)
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

I mounted the ST2000 to the cockpit coaming, on the port side. I fashioned a mounting block from mahogany to square it all up, epoxied the block to the coaming and mounted the extension arm with some hefty screws. (The unit mounts at about deck level and through bolting didn't seem possible.) I've had no issues over several seasons.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Cliff:

I just realized you are the "Cliff" who participated with your family in the 2007 Maine Renedevous. I have great memories of a great time. You had (and have) a terrific family. Everyone was always smiling and laughing. Great fun :!:

I would happily post photos of how the ST2000 is set up on S/V Bali Ha'i except I still do not have a clue of how to post photos on the website. I think I did it once many months ago, tried to repeat the steps and failed. After 8-10 more failures I decided I was too "evolved" for such mundane tasks. :D :wink:

Sorry. :(
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
cguthrie

Post by cguthrie »

Thanks for all of this help, everyone. I like the idea of mounting it on the coaming, by which think you mean the vertical teak surface. It would require one of the extension rods, I believe. I think it would hit the tiller at a better spot as well and keep me from having to attach a metal adapter to the tiller. The port side makes more sense for wiring as well.

Robert, I have the Maine cruise on my calendar again this year but I have a trip to DC just before that so I may have to catch up with you along the way. I enjoyed 2007 as well. The kids are grown up and less interested in these kinds of adventures than they are being with their friends, so I do more single-handing. There are a lots of bereft dads floating on the ocean alone together in the summer.
Cliff Guthrie
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Cliff,

>> I like the idea of mounting it on the coaming, by which think you mean the vertical teak surface.<<

As I recall, it's not true either horizontally or vertically. Measuring and cutting a fairing block was straightforward, though.

>>It would require one of the extension rods, I believe.<<

That's also a straightforward installation. "Measure twice, cut once" is an understatement on this one!

>>I think it would hit the tiller at a better spot<<

The instructions are very specific on where the ST2000 attaches to the tiller. I'd stay as close to this one as you can.

>>as well and keep me from having to attach a metal adapter to the tiller.<<

With the extension rod, all that's on the tiller is the pin.

>>The port side makes more sense for wiring as well.<<

My boarding gate is to starboard as is the ladder on the transom. I'd be more concerned about cockpit traffic flow; wiring is a once in a lifetime event.

Two side notes:

The extension provides quite a leverage arm. Falling onto the unit is likely to put considerable stress on both the unit and the coaming.

This a note more for me... the extension rod is very round. Craft something that will keep it from rolling when it's not attached.

Let me know if you want pictures.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Shinok

Post by Shinok »

Neil Gordon wrote: Let me know if you want pictures.
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm looking at installing a ST2000 in our CD27 and would like to see pictures of your setup, if you don't mind :) I like the idea of how you set it up, but I'd like to see how someone else did it before I undertake it myself.

Thanks!
Neil Gordon

Post by Neil Gordon »

Shinok wrote:
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm looking at installing a ST2000 in our CD27 and would like to see pictures of your setup, if you don't mind :) I like the idea of how you set it up, but I'd like to see how someone else did it before I undertake it myself.

Thanks!
I may have pictures on my home computer but I'm in Kyoto for 12 days or so. I'll check when I get home or take pics when the cover is off in March. The installation is straightforward but you need to be patient and do lots of measuring.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Shinok

Post by Shinok »

Neil Gordon wrote:
Shinok wrote:

Thanks!
I may have pictures on my home computer but I'm in Kyoto for 12 days or so. I'll check when I get home or take pics when the cover is off in March. The installation is straightforward but you need to be patient and do lots of measuring.
No worries, I wish I could be there :)

Thanks for the help.
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Post by Warren Kaplan »

Here's mine on my CD27.

"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
Shinok

Post by Shinok »

Warren Kaplan wrote:Here's mine on my CD27.

Thanks, that's helpful!

Are you pleased with it's performance? What is the power draw on it?