Double your pleasure, double your fun - Buy Two Typhoons

Selling or looking for a Cape Dory? Selling or looking for used gear? List your "Wanted to Buy" or "For Sale" items here.
Gary H

Double your pleasure, double your fun - Buy Two Typhoons

Post by Gary H »

instead of just one!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd=Vie ... 669wt_1167

I have no connection to this sale.
CDSOA Member 1389
Duncan
Montreal, QC

Re: Double your pleasure, double your fun - Buy Two Typhoons

Post by Duncan »

...or double-trouble, considering the neglect which shows in the photos?

But sort of a fun fantasy, especially considering that one is a daysailer.
Thanks for posting it!
mashenden
Location: "Nautica" CD-36 #84, Ty-K #83, & CD-10 #1539 in Urbanna, VA. 4 other Tys in past

Post by mashenden »

I will be sure to let y'all know as I now find myself with 2 Weekenders and a Daysailer (and my CD-10), thus proving a guy cannot have too many CDs.

OMG I MUST BE CRAZY :roll:

The price was right on all 3 - If anyone wants a Weekender, please let me know. I will all but give away the Weekender of the two that I just won on e-bay in NJ, Toms River (less a winch). It is a 1970. I have yet to see her, but the pictures indicate a lot of dirt, a paint peeling problem at the waterline that looks to be mostly cosmetic and the same on the interior. Some elbow grease, new shrouds and a winch and she should be ready to go (but again, I have yet to see her).

Make me an offer. Must be willing to move it quickly, preferably the weekend of May 5th.

Matt
804-550-4866
mashendenNOSPAM@comcast.net (remove NOSPAM)
Matt Ashenden
- I used to like boating and fixing stuff, then I bought a couple of boats and now I just fix stuff :)

Oh, and please check out my webpage... http://VaRivah.com
Gary H

Post by Gary H »

Congratulations, Matt. I think you got a steal! (Maybe you and your wife can have races!)
mashenden
Location: "Nautica" CD-36 #84, Ty-K #83, & CD-10 #1539 in Urbanna, VA. 4 other Tys in past

Post by mashenden »

Thank you. I agree. I think I got a good deal even it were just for the Daysailer.

Hopefully someone will want to share in the good fortune and adopt the Weekender in NJ. It will be at a good price if they can move on it without me having to haul it to VA :)

I hope to have at least one entered in the Ty Nationals this June in Virginia. More on that as I evaluate what each need.

Re: My wife and sailing, after this I just may be in the market for a good deal on one of them too :) I can see the headlines now: "Man gets good deal on boats, but looses shorts in divorce court. Wife gets all but the boats." :cry:
Matt Ashenden
- I used to like boating and fixing stuff, then I bought a couple of boats and now I just fix stuff :)

johnlebeau

Post by johnlebeau »

Matt,
Congrats on the purchase of the CDs in Toms River.
With all due respect, do you have any idea what you have incurred in the way of lifting and hauling these boats from their present location? Far more than their value in a saturated market of typhoons I can assure you.
In any case best of luck with them.
John
Dick Villamil

Post by Dick Villamil »

Great purchase - If I didn't already have far too many boats I would jump at the opportunity to refurbish the weekender. It looks far better than the one I rebuilt. The solid fiberglass hull will come out fine with cleaning. At least the Cape Dories cannot complain about having too many sisters!
mashenden

Post by mashenden »

Thank you, Dick. Based on the many pictures, the main thing that stands between these boats and the water is a bit of elbow grease. Hopefully I am not mistaken.
johnlebeau wrote:Matt,
Congrats on the purchase of the CDs in Toms River.
With all due respect, do you have any idea what you have incurred in the way of lifting and hauling these boats from their present location? Far more than their value in a saturated market of typhoons I can assure you.
In any case best of luck with them.
John
John - Also thank you. I gave transport a lot of thought prior to bidding. I plan to transport each (key word being "plan") by lifting the boat and cradle a bit with a 4x4 and a set of hydraulic jacks, drive the trailer under and then lower the boat and cradle onto the trailer. Then once in VA, I will launch the boat (and possibly the cradle) then place the boat on a Typhoon ready trailer that I built over the winter. Lastly I'll fish the cradle out of the water if it too gets launched. Other than gas and avoiding the toll rape on the NJ Tpk, this cost will not exceed their value.

I was not sure what was meant by your comment of "a saturated market of typhoons". Certainly there is not a saturated market for Daysailers. They only made 141 of them (not that I plan to sell her anyways - It appaers that this one is hull #4 - my lucky number). While Cape Dory made notably more Weekenders (almost 2000), they are actively pursued.

That all said, I already have a Weekender that I bought last month so I do not need another one. I will help with transport for the right offer (depending on the timing) or pretty much give her away if someone has the wherewithal to transport her without my help. My objective is to make it worth my time and to avoid transporting the Weekender to VA - profiting is not the objective.

To anyone interested in the Weekender: Feel free to make an offer - pics are available...

Matt
804-550-4866
mashendenNOSPAM@comcast.net (remove NOSPAM)
Matt Ashenden

johnlebeau

Post by johnlebeau »

Matt,
Sounds like you have thought about the transport thoroughly. My main concern for you though is that lifting the boats with a hydraulic jack and 4x4's is dangerous to say the least.
The safest and easiest (albeit not the cheapest) way to lift them would be with a hydraulic trailer from a professional transporter. I have used these in the past and they are very effective and fast. These 2 boats could be placed on such a trailer in about a half hour or less, but not sure whether you could find one that could do both at once; i.e. one behind the other in the same haul.
Also, have you thought of transporting them down the ICW to Cape May and then into the Chesapeake with a towing vessel. This may not make sense as you would still have to lift them and get them in the water somehow.
I'm not sure of the dynamics of that without a close up inspection of the integrity of the boats and some inquiries to towing companies, but it may be something to consider. It could possibly be done in stages as well.
Again, best of luck with these 2 little babies. Great boats that even if the economics don't make them a profitable investment, you'll have two great boats and you should be able to sell the daysailor this time of year with some good marketing. In fact, if the towing by "sea" idea became feasible, a good place to sell the daysailor would be in Cape May.
Looking forward to hearing how you make out, and again best wishes for your plan's success.
mashenden

Post by mashenden »

I appreciate the well wishes, John. I cannot say that I am overly concerned about jacking a boat up 4"... time will tell.

Just to keep things clear for others reading this, I will be keeping the Daysailer - no plans to sell... ever :).

It is the Weekender that I do not have a use for since 1) I wanted the Daysailer, and 2) I already have a Weekender. That said, if I have to move both and sell one of the Weekender, then so be it.

This was not about turning a profit, but I am also not interested in a loss either. Hiring out the transport is not in the cards, whether that be by truck, tow or magic. Too much $$$.
Matt Ashenden

johnlebeau

Post by johnlebeau »

I understand.
I trust you will let us all know how you make out.
Sorry about my confusion over which one you intend to keep.
mashenden

Post by mashenden »

Will do, will do.

No apology needed. It confuses me at times and I hatched the plan :)
Matt Ashenden

mashenden

Post by mashenden »

johnlebeau wrote:...I trust you will let us all know how you make out.
One down, one to go :!:

Loading the Daysailer and cradle onto the bunk trailer turned out to be relatively easy. My approach using bottle jacks worked very well. It took several cycles of ups and downs to get the trailer under the boat/cradle because each axle and cross member meant moving the supports but at no point did it feel unstable.

No big concerns on the Daysailer's condition, either - I knew the back part around the rudder shaft had something going on but the one surprise was that the cockpit floor was rotted and will need replaced. I am thinking a teak floor is in its future. Other than that a very solid boat.

The fun came about half way through the trip from NJ to VA when a family of geese (at least 7 babies) were in my lane and another car was in the left lane. I carefully split the difference between the car and gaggle, missed both, but applying the brakes caused the front piece of the cradle to collapse. While some have given me a hard time for risking life and limb to spare birds, I call "foul" :) on that point. They were a family!! My point of embarrassment was not noticing that everything was bolted together on that cradle except for the top part of the pieces that were supposed to resist forward/backward motion. They were merely nailed. Not good :oops: .

20/20 hindsight: I should have bolted the supports as well as made sure that there was something between the boat and the winch post other than about 20". A good lesson on momentum. The good news is 0 damage. When the support gave way and the boat dropped, the boat bottomed out on one of the 4x4s, which in turn cracked and softened its landing on the second 4x4". Other than a few months off my life, nothing lost.

The Weekender hull is in very good shape, and the interior while very dirty will clean up with some elbow grease. The surprise on this boat is 2 soft spots; the rear deck as well as an area on the port side around the access port on the fore deck (access ports are more problem than they are worth because they are rarely installed right and its a path for water to get to the balsa core).

That said, this boat would be an easy repair for the price... and that price is free. I will give this boat to someone, again, not becasue of its condition but because I really wanted the Daysailer and already have another Weekender. If anyone is interested, please let me know. We only have a few weeks to move it... I will help (now that I know how to do it) as long as I can cover my expenses.
Last edited by mashenden on May 7th, '12, 20:00, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Ashenden

johnlebeau

Post by johnlebeau »

GREAT JOB MATT! With the boat and the geese!
CONGRATS on getting a good deal worth your time and effort, and thanks for sharing!
mashenden

Post by mashenden »

Thanks for the congrats.

Also part of the deal was a fun Cinco De Mayo at the Jersey Shore. I was by far the oldest kid on the boardwalk:)
Matt Ashenden