CD27--Cabinet Door Beneath Sink?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Bob Owens
City Island, New York

CD27--Cabinet Door Beneath Sink?

Post by Bob Owens »

On photos of the interior of some other CD27s I see a small wood cabinet-type door a foot or so down from the sink, apparently providing entry through the fiberglass bulkhead that supports the sink and icebox and starboard counter top. My 27 lacks that. Can someone tell me what it is for? Does it simply provide quick access to the through-hull valve for the sink drain? Or is there a small cabinet (or something else) actually built in beneath the sink? Thanks.
Bob
Ray Garcia

Re: CD27--Cabinet Door Beneath Sink?

Post by Ray Garcia »

We have a 1981 CD27, it is actually a small pullout drawer. I imagine you could easily add one too.
marka
CD 27
Hull 219
Oswego, NY

Post by marka »

it's a drawer on our 1981 model as well. very handy. it would not be useful as an access point as the removable stairs serve that purpose well.
Mark Abramski
Duncan
Montreal, QC

Post by Duncan »

I have a 1977, too, and I think 1977 to 1978 was a transition of the interior arrangement.

Changes I've noticed at that transition are:
- that drawer,
- a foot pump for the sink,
- the electrical panel (angled in the corner),
- the port galley (longer and not so deep),
and the bulkhead-mounted table.

My 1977 27 has a pipe berth, which looks to have been factory-installed. As far as I have been able to find out, it was a custom installation at the factory, and it may be the only CD that has one.

The lower aft support bracket for the pipe berth lands just about where the drawer would have been.

Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Teak container/holder for fire extinguishers

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Duncan:

Where did you buy the teak container/holder for the two fire extinguishers on the starboard bulkhead :?:
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Duncan
Montreal, QC

Post by Duncan »

Hi Robert
That galley rack was on the boat when I got it.
They call it a cup rack, at Thai Teak Marine.
I also saw one available in the US, at http://www.teakflex.com/Giftitems.htm
SurryMark

Post by SurryMark »

My '77 27 has a drawer under the sink, which is handy and also provides a visual and arm access to the water filter, etc. The installation of the drawer was exceptionally clunky, so I pulled it out. I'll post a picture when I've installed what I think will be a simpler, stronger rig. I'm also putting a drawer under the stove, with a lid on top of the drawer that will serve as a counter. It should feel more civilized than using the top step for food prep. When it's done I'll post pix, if I can put up with those image sites. It would be so nice if a file could just be attached, email style.
Mark Baldwin
Surry, Maine
www.borealispress.net
Bob Owens
City Island, New York

Re: CD27--Cabinet Door Beneath Sink?--THANKS

Post by Bob Owens »

Thanks for the helpful replies. I have long wondered about a drawer or small cabinet beneath the sink, but am always reluctant to cut holes in fiberglass walls. The galley area of my boat seems to be identical to yours, Duncan.
satu

Post by satu »

My 1984 CD27 has a small magnetic latching door located beneath the sink. I use it for opening and closing engine cooling and sink thru hulls.

Captain Craig
S/V Satu
CD27 #272
Brunswick, Me