CD 27 Furler Recommendations

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

gvanbell

CD 27 Furler Recommendations

Post by gvanbell »

Hi all. I've been away from the boards for quite some time, we are getting very close to launching our refit CD 27 (officially to be named "Peponi" which means "Paradise" in Swahili). One of the last major purchases before we haul her to the yard and put her in the water is a new furler.

I don't yet have any preference except that I would like it if I didn't have to modify the headstay and it has to have two luff grooves for sail changes. Other than that, I am open to any suggestions you have!
Duncan Maio

Re: CD 27 Furler Recommendations

Post by Duncan Maio »

I have a Harken Model 0 furler on my CD27, which has required exactly zero maintenance over the past fifteen years. You should be able to use your current headstay setup.

The extrusion was damaged during transport some years ago, and I had to replace one section. Harken tech support was great; supplied all the parts I needed and an assembly manual. Disassembly, cutting the new part and reassembly took a single afternoon (with the mast down). The drum assembly is different on the current model, but the foils are the same and the drum installation actually looks simpler than the old setup.
Duncan Maio
s/v Remedy
CD27 #37
Bristol, RI
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Post by Joe Myerson »

I installed a Harken Model IV on my 25D in 2004 and have had no problems and only minimal maintenance on my part. My neighbor, a 27 owner (and not a member of the CDSOA), has had the same model on his 27 for several years longer.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Duncan Maio

Post by Duncan Maio »

I think Joe is referring to the same unit as mine. Harken's product designations are a bit confusing, (at least I think so). The unit we all have is the "Mk IV Unit 0." They also sell a "Code 0" furler, but that is designed for Volvo 60's.
Duncan Maio
s/v Remedy
CD27 #37
Bristol, RI
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Post by Joe Myerson »

Duncan Maio wrote:I think Joe is referring to the same unit as mine. Harken's product designations are a bit confusing, (at least I think so). The unit we all have is the "Mk IV Unit 0." They also sell a "Code 0" furler, but that is designed for Volvo 60's.
Duncan,
I think you're correct. My boat, manuals and so forth are 85 miles from here, but that sounds about right. Anyway, whatever it's called, it's a great, dependable unit.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
gates_cliff

Post by gates_cliff »

OK, based on the great knowledge and sound advice this board supplies, I think I'll pursue the Harken MK IV, Model 0, I looked it up on West Marine and they have one with a Pin of 3/8 or 7/16 and the price is just under $1600. Anyone know how to determine which Pin size to use? Also, I'll need to get a 150 or 120 genny and have the protective fabric sewn on and have whatever other modifications made to fit a roller furler. I'm open to any suggestions as to a source of sails.

How difficult is it to install? Does this have to be done by a rigger?

Thanks guys! With the my snail paced way of doing things I might have roller furling by this time next year!
Cliff
“Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”

― André Gide
sharkbait

Post by sharkbait »

Now is a good time to acquire sails. Approach all of the major manufacturers and ask for the boat show discount. You do not have to be at the show.
Have A Nice Day
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

I have a Harken Mk IV and highly recommend the latest model. I went with the model 1.5 which I probably didn't need to and drilled out the headstay for a fatter pin. I would go with whatever pin size fits your stem fitting if possible. I have a racing foil but for our boats would like the cruising foil which is rounder and reefs the sail a little better.

Check Sail Wharehouse to purchase your furler, I swear I paid half price for mine - in 2002 - because they want to sell you sails as well. Even without a great deal I bet they will have a good price. Good luck. This was a wonderful upgrade for Femme we have not been sorry about - even in 50 knots!
Paul
CDSOA Member