Typhoon Sr. vs. CD22

Selling or looking for a Cape Dory? Selling or looking for used gear? List your "Wanted to Buy" or "For Sale" items here.
casampson

Typhoon Sr. vs. CD22

Post by casampson »

I am in the market for a 20 - 25 foot boat and like the Cape Dory line very much. I have my eyes on a CD22D, a CD 25, and a Typhoon Sr, and hopefully will see them all this week. I am confused about the differences between the Typhoon Sr. and the 22, however. I realize the Senior is an inch or so slightly larger than the 22 in most respects, and has a motor well instead of a bracket, but are they essentially the same boat? Why did Cape Dory bother making two boats that were practically the same -- it doesn't seem to make sense from a business point of view. Do they act and feel the same under sail? Thanks.
Gary H

Re: Typhoon Sr. vs. CD22

Post by Gary H »

It appears to me that the Ty Senior was an attempt to control costs of the CD22 allowing the 22 foot boat to be more competitive. The Ty Senior eliminates the opening bronze portholes and most of the cabin teak and ash trim (I believe the icebox and sink are also gone). The Ty cabin has more bare fiberglass and more open space. The Ty Senior is a fractional rig while the CD22 is a masthead rig. The hulls are most likely identical. Both are beautiful boats so it is more a matter of preference.
rtwhitman2

Post by rtwhitman2 »

RG:
I'm also interested in a CD 22d. If, after looking at it you are not interested, please let me know so I can follow-up as well. Thanks, RT
Chance

Post by Chance »

Make no mistake,
The Cape Dory Typhoon Senior and the Cape Dory 22 are two totally different vessels. I will not attempt to go into the specifics, but let's just say that if given a choice, I would assume stewardship of a 22 over a Senior any day of the week! The 22 is much more stout, and you only need look closely as the rigging, spars, etc..
They are both great, I have spent time of both, but......., again, if afforded a choice, well....the choice would be simple, go with the CD 22 or even better but more rare the 22D (as in diesel auxiallary).

Respectfully,
Chance
BillNH

Post by BillNH »

I used to own a 22, and I'm not sure if I would have chosen a 22D over the 22 given the opportunity. 22 feet is a pretty small boat to stuff a diesel engine and associated systems into, and I'm not sure I'd trade the extra space, clean bilges and fresh smell down below of a 22 for the convenience of the diesel in what is essentially a daysailer.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big proponent of diesels in boats that have the need for one and the size to "absorb" them. I thought my 26D was far superior to a 26, but I cruised the 26D by myself from the Chesapeake to Maine and appreciated the diesel's low fuel consumption and ability to maintain the batteries when living aboard.

In a daysailer, a diesel seems a bit overkill... just my $0.02 anyways.