CD36 dodger

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Russell

CD36 dodger

Post by Russell »

I have given up on the hard dodger idea, pretty much sure what I want would just be too ugly to bear. As my sewing has improved considerably lately (even making money off of it) I decided to build a new canvas dodger.

Has anyone built a CD36 dodger with the frame attached to the coaming rather then the cabin top? I want to maximise width and height of the dodger as much as possible while still keeping it attractive. My current dodger frame is mounted on the cabintop, but with the sides snapping onto the coaming, but this creates too much taper between the top and bottom creating a smaller then desired dodger. I am hoping someone out there has done it attached to the coaming and can share photos of how it turned out before I hire someone with a pipe bender to make the frame.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
David van den Burgh

Re: CD36 dodger

Post by David van den Burgh »

Russell,

My vote is against attaching the frame to the coaming, but rather to the sides of the cabin near the coaming foward termination. That way you've maximized width without mounting hardware in a place that interferes with using the coaming as a backrest. Additionally, drilling and tapping the fiberglass for fine machine screws is a stronger attachment than the wood. Our dodger is essentially as wide as the forward cockpit and comes aft far enough to cover the bridgedeck, and yet it does not interfere with seating, visibility, or access in and out of the cabin. There's also plenty of room to crank on the cabintop winches.

Russell

Post by Russell »

Before posting I had googled images of CD36 dodgers and your dodger was prominently features in those photos, which I examined closely. The cabin side is a fair inbetween comprimise, but not the result I am looking for. I do not think thru bolting a chainplate of sorts to the coaming to attach the frame (my plan) will be weak enough to worry about. The backrest thing is not an issue either, my current dodger canvas attaches there anyway, I tend to sit legthwise when under the dodger.
Russell
Russell

Post by Russell »

While on the subject of dodgers, has anyone ever used Makrolon AR for windows in their dodgers? From what i am reading it sounds better then strataglass other then the fact that it wont roll up well. And I can just make the whole front pane removable rather then rollable to solve that issue with ease.

Waiting to hear back from sailrite if it can be sewn by my machine, but very curious of anyones experience with it.
Russell
Matt Cawthorne
Hull # 79

Post by Matt Cawthorne »

My boat came with a nice looking, but small dodger that was attached to the coamings. It was ok, but did not provide much protection because it did not extend far enough back. It also was a little floppy since the frame was aluminum. 3 or 4 years back I found a perfect condition, stainless frame that fit nearly perfectly in the boatyard scrap metal pile. It was sort of squareish for my taste, but I asked the boatyard what they wanted for it and they sold it to me for $15. I made my own canvas for it and have been very pleased with the protection it affords, since it is the width of the cockpit and extends about 8 inches further back. The limiting factor is the clearance to the winch handle. I used stratoglass, and it is holding up ok.

Matt
Russell

Post by Russell »

Thanks Matt. I am considering taking the dodger all the way back to the winch handle base and have that aft 10 inch or so section be a zip out peice for when the winch is in frequent use.

I love Alberg designs but they are in their nature very wet boats so getting the cockpit as dry as possible will go a long way for passagemaking comfort. The dodger that came with my boat was actually very well made and attractive, but very small. I made some weather cloths too, between the two the cockpit should be considerably dryer.
Russell
Jim_B

Post by Jim_B »

I didn't make this dodger but I think it is set up they way you are thinking. If/when I replace it, I would make it taller. It's upper frame is in my wife's line of sight when she is at the helm. It would also make it easier to get in and out of the hatch. I would also make a connecting panel between the dodger and the bimini.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim_B

Post by Jim_B »

one more profile picture - it goes back to the winch base.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Russell

Post by Russell »

Thank you Jim! Thats exactly what I needed to see. Looks great, I will attach it that way then, yours looks like exactly what I want only I want it a bit taller, but the shape looks nice and it isnt overpowering the boat which is what I was worried about.
Russell
K Chiswell

Post by K Chiswell »

Russel,

a little off topic but I read a post of yours from several years back when you mentioned a hard dodger. It was under the subject boom gallows. With all your miles I was wondering if you still think that gallows would be a good idea. I have seen some pictures, not of cape dorys, where they are installed just in front of the dodger. I think they look pretty good and can see some benefit to having them.
Russell

Post by Russell »

K Chiswell wrote:Russel,

a little off topic but I read a post of yours from several years back when you mentioned a hard dodger. It was under the subject boom gallows. With all your miles I was wondering if you still think that gallows would be a good idea. I have seen some pictures, not of cape dorys, where they are installed just in front of the dodger. I think they look pretty good and can see some benefit to having them.
I still think a boom gallows is a good idea absolutely! Since I got the rigid boom vang it has been less of a concern though, the way I am rigged now I dont really see a need for one, but a typically rigged CD I think would benefit greatly from a boom gallows.
Russell