Oil pressure gauge and water temperature gauge

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Oil pressure gauge and water temperature gauge

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

I am interested in adding an oil pressure gauge and a water temperature gauge to S/V Bali Ha'i.

At present she has the standard Yanmar engine panel mounted on the aft wall of the cockpit with a water temperature buzzer and light and an oil pressure buzzer and light.

I would prefer to be able to look at a gauge that tells me current oil pressure and water temp so that I can monitor these and see if they are running "hot" at higher rpms, etc.

I have looked at WM and Defender websites. They both seem to sell a product mfg. by "Telelfex" along with 1-2 other brands.

Two questions:

1. Is there a particular brand, model, etc. that is more appropriate for a Cape Dory 25D with a 1982 Yanmar 1GM :?:

2. Where would be the best place to install these two gauges :?: My initial thought is to install them on the cabin bulkhead on the port side where the knot meter and depth gauges are located.

I would be grateful for any and all suggestions and recommendations.

In doing some limited research on these gauges I think that if I install an oil pressure gauge I will still have the "low oil pressure buzzer/light". However, if I install a water temp gauge I wlll no longer have a "high water temp buzzer/light". I am not sure why this is so or even if I am right on this.

Strictly Sail Miami is coming in 2 weeks. I will be spending a lot of time there with a long shopping list and a short budget. :(
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
hilbert

Re: Oil pressure gauge and water temperature gauge

Post by hilbert »

I prefer gauges to be at eye level. However, chances are that one will not be watching a gauge at a critical moment, therefore the need for lights and buzzers. Once there are lights and buzzers, the gauge location is less important.

I believe the 1GM has an oil pressure switch (oil pressure opposes a spring and opens a contact). To add an electrical pressure gauge, you will need to install a sending unit. If you wish to keep the same buzzer/light wiring, then you will need to replace the pressure switch with a Tee. The pressure switch then goes on one side of the Tee and the sending unit on the other. This should be simple, but few things are. The threads on the Yanmar and the pressure switch are BSPT, but almost all senders are NPT. Once you find fittings, check for adequate clearance.

For my 1990's 2GM, I am currently constructing a new engine panel with Murphy Swichgages. These are mechanical units with limit switches on the back of the gauges, that I will use for the buzzer/light. The oil pressure switch is replaced by a tube that runs from the engine to the back of the gauge. The water temperature gauge has capillary tube, with a bulb that replaces the water temperature switch (Murphy has a 3/8 BSPT adapter for the bulb). It will all be mounted on the port cabin bulkhead.

Jonathan
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Re: Oil pressure gauge and water temperature gauge

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Jonathan: :!:

Thanks VERY much. That is very helpful information. The guy who is going to help me install these mentioned installing the "T" for the oil pressure gauge.

I looked at the Murphy Swichgages website. Interesting. Looks like good quality. Before buying anything I will do a careful walk through at Strictly Sail Miami in two weeks (yeah :D :!: :!: )

That is a really nice compact engine panel you built. I wish I had your skills.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil