Upscale Mac & Cheese or Tuna el Cheapo

Share your provisioning secrets and solutions as well as your recipes.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Paul D.

Upscale Mac & Cheese or Tuna el Cheapo

Post by Paul D. »

Though I am far out of college, I still love this meal out camping or aboard the boat. It has a sort of casserole comfort food feel to it, is quick and in no way pretentious and most importantly, it will stick to your ribs.

1 family size box Kraft or other mac and cheese - You'll need some butter, margarine or olive oil and milk for this
1 can tuna in water
1 cup frozen or dried peas
1 small onion cut up
1 tbs whole cumin seeds
Cracked black pepper
Olive oil

1. Saute the onion in a tablespoon of olive oil for two minutes. Add the cumin seeds and saute for another minute
remove to separate bowl
2. Boil water and make mac & cheese as directed on package
3. Add sauteed onion mixture, can of tuna and peas after mixing mac and cheese and stir
4. Add cracked pepper and serve

Notes:
- If using dried peas, make a wetter mix or soak them in water for a while beforehand.
- I recommend using a genuine http://www.stirsby.com/ designed and built by a CD owner and member of this board and, full disclosure, my brother. But I'm telling 'ya, you will always cook with one after trying it!
- You can do this in one pot by sauteing the onions in the pot and removing them to your serving bowl till you need to add to the mix.
- I sometimes make this a curry, add spinach or chard when sauteing the onion - you can really use your imagination here
Paul
CDSOA Member