Roller furling or Hank on

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

abcnuzeman
Brooklyn, NY

Roller furling or Hank on

Post by abcnuzeman »

After two seasons of day sails on my new to me CD25D, I'm ready to venture further with some coastal cruising this year. The previous owner converted the head sail to roller furling with a 150% Genoa. I also have two hanked on head sails that came with the boat, a storm jib and what I think is a 130% jib with a reef point. My original thought was to convert the jib to roller furling, but now I'm thinking about going back to hank on for the flexibility in sail selection. I'm just wondering what the more experienced sailors here prefer and why.
David
Dick Barthel

flexibility v convenience

Post by Dick Barthel »

David,

I think your question contains the answer. If you don't want to go out on the bow and you're satisfied with the partially furled performance that is the major plus for furling. You could carry a second storm sail and actually replace the furling sail but I don't bother with that, especially on a 25D. I think if you sail alone alot it's hard to beat the compromise. As you get older the comfort of the cockpit is a definite plus. There is nothing like coming in from a rouigh ride and just pulling in your headsail!

I started with hank ons. I guess the trick is starting the day with what you're most likely to be using. I would not go back but I appreciate the purists who like the traditional approach and get pleasure out of hopping around catlike on the bow as it plunges up and down with the sail intent on taking a swim. But there are plenty of sail handling solutions like downhauls and the like for the industrious. Lot's of that stuff and plenty of the furling v hank topics in the archives.

Hey this is a nice way to start the day but it's winter outside and I've got to get to work!

Dick
Bob B

Hank on - Roller furling

Post by Bob B »

I had a 27 with hank no sails. We used our storm jib as much as the working jib so it was okay for us. Then, I bought a 25D with roller furling headsail. Not going forward on a pitching bow was really nice. We'd go out and sail when it was "too rough" for larger, less Cape Dory-like boats. We'd roll out however much sail we needed but were free to just roll out or in as the conditions changed. Even though you sacrifice some sail shape with the roller, we were more likely to use the proper amount of sail area just because it was so easy. I cast a vote for the roller furling.
Of course we are now hanking on with our typhoon and having no problems. Planning is the key here.
Bob B.
CD Typhoon Liberty
Lancaster, SC
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Roller furling gets my vote

Post by Joe Myerson »

This thread holds promise of being a long one, as there are many advocates of hank-on headsails who haven't contributed yet.

Before they do, let me join those who favor using a roller-furled headsail--especially if you're planning to start coastal cruising--and especially if you do any singlehanded sailing.

When I bought my 25D it had a wide range of hank-on sails, most old and some from other boats. Before launching Creme Brulee, I installed a Harken Mark IV roller furler and converted one sail. Later I commissioned another sail (a 130 genoa). I've been happily using both sails ever since.

--Joe
Captain, Northeast Fleet
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
rtbates

Post by rtbates »

Our 25D has a 130 roller/REEFER... Be sure to get the REEFER ability..

And a main with two, soon to be three reefs.

With this config you need no other sails, even off shore...

A 25D was sailed across the Pacific with this config....

The joys of small vessels and their small forces!!
Randy 25D Seraph #161
Joe Myerson

Randy's got it right!

Post by Joe Myerson »

Randy is correct. What we should have is roller REEFING.

It's a great boon to sailors under most cruising conditions, IMHO.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA

--Capt. John Smith, 1627
bhartley
CD25D #184 "Pyxis"

CDSOA Member #785

Another count FOR

Post by bhartley »

Our 25D came with an old model Cruising Direct (CDI) furler. It is a nuisance to change sails, but I sure wouldn't consider giving it up unless I was upgrading to a NEW furler.

I upgraded (yes, I see it as a very valuable upgrade) our Sea Sprite 23 to a CDI Flexible Furler last year. I can be as prepared as I can be, but when the wind kicks up out of nowhere and I am single handing, it is a very nice to just roller the genny in a ways and sail on home.

I did the sail conversions myself. Joe Myerson gave me Creme Brulee's castoff 600% genoa (okay maybe its a little smaller than that but I had PLENTY of room to cut it down) for Pyxis. When Joe's sail worked so well, I had no concerns cutting down Ariel's "good" genoa. Both work splendidly and would never go back.

We sail on a lake in Georgia and in and around Salem Sound off Marblehead, MA. In either area, I am much happier with the furler (with reefing capabilities) than I would be/was hank-on.

My grandfather (long gone), one of the purists-of-pure when it comes to sailing (wooden hull & spars...), was so very pleased when he added roller furling (40 years ago).

I vote FOR! :D

Bly
Paul Grecay
Lewes, Delaware

Single handing?? Roller furling!!

Post by Paul Grecay »

I am always single handing on my CD 28 (Peapod)....and that nice roller furl is perfect for me. As a matter of fact, I have rigged my club footed jib for roller furling. With a club footed jib, roller furl and the Aries self-steering, single handing is just pure fun with few hair-raising episodes.
Dick Spangler

Back to hanked-on Jibsails

Post by Dick Spangler »

I have just removed a Profurl furler from my CD31 and am going back to hanked on jibsails. My reasons are:

1) I am always anxious that just when I need to most, the furler will hangup on me

2) Sail selection/change is easier and more part of sailing. From my own experience and from what I see, most boats have one jibsail that is used in all conditions. The only decision is how much to furl the sail in the breeze. I don't see a lot of boats actively changing jibsails on their furriers in response to conditions.

3) sail shape/airfoil along the luff is better

4) To gain access to the forestay for inspection and tuning of the rig

5) It looks better, to my eye

Another fun experiment. BTW, I have kept the Profurl just in case (or when!) I change my mind.
Dick Spangler
s/v Tillandsia
CD31 No. 63 1984
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Storage

Post by Neil Gordon »

If your hanked on options would be working jib or genoa, roller furling will eliminate one very large sail bag that otherwise needs to find a home. Not an issue when day sailing but if you're living on the boat, even overnight, it might matter.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
trapper
CD25D, Lake Murray SC

25D roller furler

Post by trapper »

I added a Profurl NC32 about 3 years ago. It is heavy duty and works well. I converted the headsail myself. That said, If you had asked me this question before last October, I would have said it was the worst money I spent on the boat. Last Oct. I had an incident which made me glad to have it.

I sail on a lake so it would not be hard for me to put on the sail that I would need that day, mostly 150. Once the sail is rolled in to about a 135, it is pretty distorted.

Even though we have lots of light air days, I am going to go to the 135. When the wind comes in where you would want the 135, the rolled 150 is so distorted that it takes a lot of pleasure out of sailing the boat.. While, I will get less performance in light air I think the improved performance at moderate to heavy air will be worth it.
seadog6532
Location: last boat 31' C&C Corvette, 0wner of CD30k #112 Arianna.

Post by seadog6532 »

What makes it a roller reefing furler is having a foam luff sewed into the sail that flattens the sail as it is furled. When done correctly you can have a much better sail shape with a partially furled/reefed sail.

Last year we sailed for over 12 hours offshore in a full gail with just a reefed jib on our profurl, it worked perfectly and I would not have wanted to go out on the foredeck in those conditions. We will never sail far from home without furling.
Mark and Anna of Arianna CD30K #112
Joe Myerson

Foam not needed on Harken, supposedly

Post by Joe Myerson »

seadog6532 wrote:What makes it a roller reefing furler is having a foam luff sewed into the sail that flattens the sail as it is furled.
After I had my genoa built with a rope luff pad, I was told that with the Harken furler, it was not necessary. Still, it is supposed to make for a better sail shape when reefed (partially furled).

I'm not sure that my headsail shape is optimal when reefed, but it's fine for cruising, and I've also ridden out some pretty heavy blows.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA

--Capt. John Smith, 1627
rorik

Post by rorik »

Hands down, hank on.
Sail shape is better. Even with a reef in the jib.
When the wind gets stronger, even just at the dock, there is less windage. Less movement when hove to or at anchor. Less wear and tear on rodes, dock lines and headstay/masthead fittings.
Mathilda has a 97% jib and a Code Zero. Singlehanding, it takes all of about 4 minutes to swap to either one.
I have that much less to maintain, break or repair.
If a sail needs to be repaired, I just grab the bag that it's in. No tools or time required to remove it from the furler.
I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request. Means no.
Jeff and Sarah
Location: CD33 "Prerequisite" / CD28 Flybridge Trawler "Toboggan"; Annapolis, MD

Post by Jeff and Sarah »

What tools are required to remove a sail from a furler?

Either is a good option- both have benefits and weak points. Sail shape to the level of being hurt by a furler on a Cape Dory seems like not a worthy reason for hank ons to me. Bottom paint is bad for speed too, you know. Nobody is racing these boats seriously. Simplicity of systems is the benefit of hank ons. Simplicity and safety of 'raising', 'dousing', and reefing are the benefits of furlers. For me, hank ons for light race boats. Furlers for everything else.