Typhoon work

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

bifcondor
Location: 1971 typhoon weekender #137, "commander's moon" Biscayne Bay, FL

Typhoon work

Post by bifcondor »

I have my ty on a trailer at home and I want to prep the hull and paint. Do I pressure wash or sand and what is the recommendation for paint? It is already pretty clean of any barnacles and growth.
What is the preferred method for cleaning my lines?
Thanks. I'm really looking forward to getting this done and back to sailing.
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

What parts are you planing to paint and why?

Gel coat is good if you can keep it, Steve.
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Bernie:

I have no expertise in this area at all but I did a wash, sand and bottom paint on S/V Tadpole in 2008 and recently did the same on S/V Bali Ha'i.

Unless the bottom of your Ty Weekender is very clean already I would recommend a pressure wash. Once washed and dried I would sand down the bottom being careful not to gauge or cut into the gelcoat. Make sure to wear a suitable mask, protective glasses and a protective suit if available. Also, a sander with a built in collection bag or a hose running from the sander to a shop vac. Otherwise you will have dust and particles flying all over the place.

Once sanded, etc. then fair out any shallow spots or dimples, etc. with epoxy or a polyester resin and resand. Epoxy may be a little difficult to sand smooth once it hardens.

For bottom paint I used two coats of non-ablative Sea Hawk Tropikote on S/V Tadpole. I clean my own bottom and was very satisfied with how the Sea Hawk performed in Biscayne Bay waters. It does have a high copper content.

I recently put the same paint on S/V Bali Ha'i. Two coats on the bottom and an extra 3rd coat along the water line.

For topsides, Awlgrip is a good, but expensive choice. It may be better to have a pro apply the Awlgrip. I am told there is an "art" to its correct application.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Markst95
Location: 1972 Typhoon Weekender "SWIFT" Hull #289 Narragansett Bay, RI

Post by Markst95 »

It depends on what you want to do. If its a new boat to you or you've never done it before you might want to start from scratch and sand\strip off all the old bottom paint as per Robert. Possibly even add a barrier coat. If the bottom paints in fair condition you can just scrape off any flaking areas, give it a light sanding and then recoat. Make sure the bottom paint you use is compatible with whats on there now.
sharkbait

Cleaning lines

Post by sharkbait »

Remove the lines and put each one in a separate mesh bag. Put them in the washing machine add some woolite along with the detergent.
Have A Nice Day
Dick Villamil

Bottom Paint

Post by Dick Villamil »

A) After pressure washing I would recommend using a garden hose, bucket of water and either one of those sanding sponges with coarse on one side or 60 grit wet-or-dry sandpaper (go to an auto store) I did the entire bottom of my Typhoon with 1/2 sheet and used to do my 27' boat with one sheet. Just keep everything wet - no dust, no respirator - just wet arms. I recommend using long rubber gloves. B) If you want to take it down to bare gelcoat then you may beed to do some serious sanding with a random orbital sander with 60 grit sandpaper - dry. Using water with this sander may cause electrocution! Then you could put on 3 coats of barrier coat followed by 2 or 3 coats of bottom paint.
Plan A will tajke a good weekend, plan B will take 2 weekends.