Engine replacement

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Jack Carr

Engine replacement

Post by Jack Carr »

After finally figuring out my cooling water problem, I have turned to the real problem and that is my 1986 1GM Yanmar 9hp burns a lot of oil. It has been diagnosed as bad rings with some expensive options. First, I can overhaul the engine at the local shipyard for $3k; second, I could have Yanmar do it with a 1yr warranty for $4k; third, buy a new engine for $8k.

Buying an off the shelf rebuilt engine sounds like another option but I don't know of any local sources. Anyone got some leads they could share?
Jack
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

First Try This

Post by Oswego John »

Hi Jack,

You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Neither can you make a 25 year old engine perform like new. After all these years of service, something's gotta give.

Winter is on the doorstep. Before you haul your boat, maybe try an $8.00 or $9.00 experiment. Toss a container of this Diesel snake oil in your engine crankcase and give her a good run, see what happens. It's a pretty good tonic for tired engines.

O J

"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Russell

Re: Engine replacement

Post by Russell »

Jack Carr wrote:After finally figuring out my cooling water problem, I have turned to the real problem and that is my 1986 1GM Yanmar 9hp burns a lot of oil. It has been diagnosed as bad rings with some expensive options. First, I can overhaul the engine at the local shipyard for $3k; second, I could have Yanmar do it with a 1yr warranty for $4k; third, buy a new engine for $8k.

Buying an off the shelf rebuilt engine sounds like another option but I don't know of any local sources. Anyone got some leads they could share?
Keep in mind on the rebuild vs new engine there will be a lot of additional costs. A rebuilt engine goes right back into the boat with no modifications to the engine bed, stern tube or anything, fits like it did before. A new engine will not just bolt right in and fit, there can be a tremendous amount of cost involved in fitting a new engine into a boat.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
sharkbait

Post by sharkbait »

One other option

Rebuild the engine yourself.
Have A Nice Day
rtbates

Post by rtbates »

what you have is about as simple as an engine can get, IF you dis-regard the high pressure fuel delivery pump.

Take it out of the boat and hand carry it to any diesel shop for ring replacement/valves (maybe)...

Closely examine your exhaust elbow OFF the motor. Look for holes in the inner tube. Holes allow water to get into the engine valve area and will rust holes through...keep a spare...
Randy 25D Seraph #161
paulmccary

engine replacement

Post by paulmccary »

Jack, having recently replaced the 1GM in our CD 27 with a 2YM15, I can tell you that selecting/buying the engine is only half the battle. I had an excellent yard mechanic do the repower and by the time we got done with the stuffing box, wiring replacements, re-routing the exhaust, instrument panel, lining up the mounts and a dozen other tasks I forget, the total parts + labor bill was over $12k.

In our case, we feel the expense was worth it because, in our opinion, the 1 GM was really inadequate for the 27. The new 15 makes a world of difference, correcting the only flaw in what we now believe is the perfect boat for us (and we better love it for the next 10 years!). If I didn't feel we were correcting a real weakness in our boat by getting more power, I would not have splurged on the new engine.

My uninformed guess is that your 22 is not underpowered and the installation would be no easier than mine. Unless you're super handy, have the right tools and a lot of free time, you're probably better off fixing what you've got, or having someone else do so for you.
Paul McCary
Impromptu
Pine Island Bay
Groton CT
moctrams
Location: 1982 Cape Dory 30C,Gabbiano,Hull # 265,Flag Harbor,Long Beach, Md.

High labor cost

Post by moctrams »

I can’t understand the high labor costs of the “folks up northâ€
Russell

Re: High labor cost

Post by Russell »

[quote="moctrams"]I can’t understand the high labor costs of the “folks up northâ€
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Ron M.

Post by Ron M. »

I did a re-power a few years back and can relate to the expense. As I recollect the new 20hp diesel/trans. is in the 7k range. It is advisable to do the drivetrain, trans., coupling, shaft, seal, prop, exhaust, fuel filter, seawater strainer, remove and clean fuel tanks and incidentals. These added over 2k to the cost. I did all the work myself, including modifying the engine stringers. It was not rocket science, pretty much straight forward, it easily took me a over week once the new motor was placed in the galley. I'm not an expert and do my share of fumbling but can understand how a yard can expect to charge 3k plus,( at their rates) for the installation. It's a definite commitment.
CD 30c #42
S/V "Bluesails"
+ 41.69989
paulmccary

High, but not super high labor costs

Post by paulmccary »

Just to clarify my prior post, the 2 YM 15 out of the box, including shipping and sales tax, was $7200. The labor and assorted extra parts (hoses, cables, custom mounts plus new bedding, wires, repacking the stuffing box, new 3 blade prop :) , etc.) plus sales tax was $6400. The # of hours of labor and the price of the labor were virtually identical from another yard in Newport RI where I got a quote. The yard in Noank (Spicer's) was 3 miles from my mooring.

Not cheap, to be sure, but the job was done by an expert and is covered by a warranty. All in all, I was very pleased with the work and the price.
Paul McCary
Impromptu
Pine Island Bay
Groton CT
Andy Denmark

About right

Post by Andy Denmark »

These numbers are roughly consistent with my Beta 14 repower. There was some added cost because I totally remodeled the engine compartment but backing out the expense of that effort the figures are comparable.

FWIW
s/v Rhiannon

"In order to be old and wise, one first must have been young and stupid ...
Jeff G

Post by Jeff G »

I wrestled with this about 2 years ago. I decided to rebuild the old 1GM. I saved a considerable amount of money by removing and reinstalling the engine myself. By keeping the old Yanmar, I did not have to modify the engine bed which made the reinstall pretty easy. I marked the exact position of the old engine mounts. Keep the engine mounts attached so you can line them up when reinstalling. I had Mack Boring in MA do the work. After reboring the cylinder they replaced the piston with a a 1GM 10. I picked up an extra 2.5 horses (old 1GM is 7.5 HP). The total rebuild cost was about $1800. Replacement on a CD22 is probably easier than a CD 25D