Sail Loft in Maine?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Evergreen
Location: 1986 Cape Dory 36 - Hull # 139 - "Evergreen" - kept at Great Island Boat Yard - Maine

Sail Loft in Maine?

Post by Evergreen »

Can anyone recommend a sail loft or two in Maine that they know does quality work? We are particularly interested in one that does off shore cruising sail making and repair well.

Thanks,
Philip & Sharon
https://share.delorme.com/ADVNTURUNLIMITD (Where is Evergreen?)
http://northernexposurein2013.blogspot.com/ (Link to older blogs)
Brian2

Bayview Rigging and Sails

Post by Brian2 »

We use Bayview Rigging and Sails in Yarmouth, Maine. The owner/sailmaker, Jan, has extensive offshor experience.
Jerezana

Agree on Bayview

Post by Jerezana »

I've used them and Bohndell in Rockport. I'd rate Bayview better.
Chris Gordon
SurryMark

Post by SurryMark »

Kurt Lietz in Sedgwick has wide experience, and has done excellent work for me. Worth calling. Kurt is on the same road as Center Harbor Sails in Brooklin, ME, also highly regarded.
Mark Baldwin
Surry, Maine
www.borealispress.net
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

Was on a week long charter about 9-10 years back from Rockland to Bar Harbor and back and blew out the clew of the main late one afternoon. We were just south of Northeast Harbor.

Called the charter company right away (Johanson Boatworks) who got in contact Acadia Sail in SW Harbor where we spent the night. First thing in the morning they were on the boat taking the main off and in about 2 1/2 hours they the clew fixed the main back on the mast and we were on our way late morning. Don't know if that quick turn around was just professional courtesy but I was happy.

http://www.mesailing.com/sails/one-desi ... adia-sails
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
JAS
LOON

Post by JAS »

Pope Sails in Rockland. I was referred there by a former Bohndell sailmaker and have been pleased with quality and service.
Jim Stevenson
JAS
LOON

Post by JAS »

Pope Sails in Rockland. I was referred there by a former Bohndell sailmaker and have been pleased with quality and service.
Jim Stevenson
Jack Carr

Maine Sail Lofts

Post by Jack Carr »

A couple of boat repair yards recommended Bayview Sails in Yarmouth to me. I had them make a set of sails for me and I couldn't have been more pleased with their performance.
Jack