outboard engine for cd25

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

trbrustowicz

outboard engine for cd25

Post by trbrustowicz »

I am about to get a CD25 with an 8hp merc in the well. It will be moved to salt water. What do people do with this engine in the well??
I saw the plan for a bucket, and the idea of a vinyl bag...anyone use a sliding mount?
what other options other than horsing this 65lb moster out every time.
Ted
bgephart

Leave it in

Post by bgephart »

I have been sailing CD25s for over 30 years in tidal waters east of Savannah, and I have always just left my motor in the well in the seawater. I pull it once or maybe twice a year to clean and paint with antifouling paint - Trilux - and it works fine. My current 6HP Johnson is a 1994 and going strong. It's way too much hassle to pull that monster out regularly.
Al Levesque

Post by Al Levesque »

If you do leave it in be sure to clean it periodically. We left ours in the first year and the cooling passages were completely blocked by marine life. We noticed that the mussels growing inside were far too large to flush out. They must have entered as seeds and grew from there.

We had a 6hp and then chose to remove it each time and stored it on some cushioning material in the starboard seat locker. The lugging kept me younger :)
trbrustowicz

Post by trbrustowicz »

has anyone tried a some kind of slider to move the OB up and out of the water??
GLutzow

Not advisable

Post by GLutzow »

I had to replace the engine on my CD25 this year because of major corrosion caused by my leaving the engine in-water. I now RELIGIOUSLY remove the engine after use. This is especially important in saltwater.
Greg Lutzow
Nokomis, FL

CD25
"Beau Soleil"
sailing off a mooring in Sarasota Bay

With nothin' but stillness as far as you please
An' the silly mirage stringin' islands an' seas.
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Slider

Post by Oswego John »

Hi trbrustowicz,

Engine slider? Not a bad idea for someone who cannot physically lift the iron dinosaur from the engine well.

First thoughts come to mind is maybe an overhead, removable gallows. A harness around the engine with line up and through a gallows block and down to a crank or one of the winches.

It sure wouldn't be pleasingly aesthetic, but what the hey, if it does the job, pay no attention to the Hinckley captain, next boat over.

I would think that you would want it to be temporary, removable and stowable.

O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Slider

Post by Neil Gordon »

Oswego John wrote:It sure wouldn't be pleasingly aesthetic, but what the hey, if it does the job, pay no attention to the Hinckley captain, next boat over.
Invariably, proper and simple solutions are in fact aesthetically pleasing and vice versa.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Carl Thunberg

Any chance of selling it?

Post by Carl Thunberg »

8 HP is a lot of horses for a CD25, unless of course you sail in the Bay of Fundy or other areas notorious for extreme currents. You might want to think about possibly selling this monster and buying something smaller and more manageable. Just a thought. For what it's worth, the consensus opinion seems to be that the long-shaft 6HP Tohatsu is the "right" engine for this boat.

Regarding the slider, I'm not convinced it will work. I'm going by memory here, but I'm almost positive that you need to twist the whole engine 90 degrees as you're lifting it out, to get the lower end out of the well. The gallows idea could work, but probably not a fixed slider. Like most things, the devil is in the details.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Any chance of selling it?

Post by Neil Gordon »

Carl Thunberg wrote:8 HP is a lot of horses for a CD25, unless of course you sail in the Bay of Fundy or other areas notorious for extreme currents.
But isn't it about hull speed? If the boat will do six knots, max, 8hp, 12, 20, etc., won't help you against a 7 knot current.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Carl Thunberg

Could be.

Post by Carl Thunberg »

Most people just feel more at ease with a few extra horses under them in a strong current. It's part of being human, and being human is not always rational. (Since when did the Engineer become versed in humanities?) :wink:
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Neil Gordon

Re: Could be.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Carl Thunberg wrote: It's part of being human, and being human is not always rational.
You mean the part where we take a week to get there when modern technology could transport us in just a couple of hours?

How about teak? Is teak rational?

By the way, I've always felt those extra horses are nice to have when wind and waves are against me.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Ben Coombs
King's Point, West Bath, ME

Does it fit?

Post by Ben Coombs »

How well does the motor fit in the well? I am thinking about buying a 1999 mercury sailpower 8, with the charging bit all ready to go. I'd like the extra horses. 15 miles of straight into a strong wind with four foot chop is a long slog with too few horses. And in the interest of keeping the family on board with sailing(pun intended) I'd like to hit hull speedin almost any condition. Especially with that lovely inflatable anchor we tow behind us.
Ben Coombs
trbrustowicz

Post by trbrustowicz »

The 8is what is coming on the boat. I wil take a picture and show you the room when I get to Wisconsin
Ted
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

The family might like it better if you were not doing hull speed into a strong wind with a four foot chop. It makes for a very wet and bumpy ride, Steve.
Ben Coombs
King's Point, West Bath, ME

Time vs discomfort

Post by Ben Coombs »

Nobody likes a long slog into the wind under power... But a 12 mile trip at hull speed is 2 hours of bouncing around on the sea. A 4 knot pace adds an hour... Of bouncing around, and getting wet...plus the added marital bliss of "why is this taking so long? Can't we go a little faster?" Or, even better, "why didn't you get that bigger motor?"

Size does matter sometimes....
Ben Coombs