Any experience with these vendors?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

VCampbell

Any experience with these vendors?

Post by VCampbell »

An extremely limited budget for the boat this year has me shopping for a new mainsail based on price, rather than ordering from a local sail loft which would have been my preference. Has anyone had any experience, good or bad, with either The Sail Warehouse or Mauri Sails? I'd appreciate any input or any other suggestions for sources.
Thanks,
Vern
Jim Davis
Edgewater, MD

Bacon in Annapolis

Post by Jim Davis »

I have had good and fast service from Bacon's. They have new sails made in addition to their used sails sales. They have the specs for Cape Dorys.

http://www.baconsails.com/
Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
Maine Sail

Post by Maine Sail »

I think some of the listed vendors source their sails from Rolly Tasker and they build very good sails at an excellent price.

Dirk at National Sail Supply in Florida probably has the best pricing and standard "specs" on Rolly Tasker sails as he used to be his GM in Phuket running what was then the largest sail loft in the world.

I am on my 9th sail from Dirk and they have been excellent and a tremendous value.
-Maine Sail
CS-36T
Broad Cove, Maine

My Marine How To Articles
VCampbell

Post by VCampbell »

Thanks for the replies and the input. Both the vendors I mentioned quoted prices for a finished sail for about the same price that I got from Sailrite for a mainsail kit. I was curious about the quality of the vendors' product because I know that you generally get what you pay for. The local sail loft has given me great service on several occasions over the years so I had every intention of having them build me a new main this year, but my money has had to go in different directions this year. I'll check out Bacon and National Sail Supply.
Thanks again,
Vern
aja

Post by aja »

The sail warehouse sails are good. We purchased a main , and a genoa from them about 9 years ago and they still look great. We got the power tip main, which is their better one with 2 top full battens
s/v aja
1977 cd25 #530
Fairhaven, MA

NE Fleet Member since 2002
Ron M.

Post by Ron M. »

I have to agree with mainesail about national sail. I've replaced 3 sails from them. Dirk is on top of things and accessable, easy to work with. Good sails and pricing.
________
Curvy Cams