advice needed on outboard mounting on CD25

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

lindacd25

advice needed on outboard mounting on CD25

Post by lindacd25 »

I have a 6HP, 4-stroke, long-shaft outboard that I want to be able to lift out of the water when not in use to avoid corrosion as much as possible.
But I have a well in the CD25. Is there some way to configure the well design so I can easily lift the outboard out of the water and lower it, without taking it totally out of the well?

Also, would you recommend my switching to an outboard mounting bracket on the stern instead?

lindacd25
seajunkie

Post by seajunkie »

While it would be easy to do, to me hanging an outboard off the back of a CD just kills the whole idea of having this style boat.

My boat had a cut out in the stern that seemed to be made to tilt the shaft up, but I didn't know of a motor that would fit.

I used a really light 2hp 2 stroke to get out of the marina and then sailed. Otherwise I think you need to put the motor in and take it out.
Seajunkie
Duncan
Montreal, QC

Tilt-up outboard in a well

Post by Duncan »

Here is a nice article by James Baldwin, on building a tilt-up outboard well in a Pearson Triton.
lindacd25

thank yo

Post by lindacd25 »

thanks for the responses and link to the article!
Troy Scott

outboard well solution

Post by Troy Scott »

Duncan,

That Pearson outb'd solution is pretty clever. It's not too ugly. Well, it's a little bit ugly ;-)

At least he's rid of the atomic bomb.

Outboards are a little like window-unit air conditioners. They don't look very good, they don't work quite as well, but it sure is a hell of a lot easier when it's time to replace it!
Regards,
Troy Scott