Datamarine depthsounder and knotmeter malfaunction

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

12Sail
Urbanna, VA

Datamarine depthsounder and knotmeter malfaunction

Post by 12Sail »

Instruments (separate) come on, and depthsounder goes thru its startup process, but then reads " - --". Knotmeter comes on, but reads "0.0". So i believe they are getting power, but to have both the transducer and the knotmeter wheel go at the same time seems odd. Thoughts?
"Oh God, your ocean is so vast and my boat is so small."
Ron Churgin

Post by Ron Churgin »

I had a similar problem once, it turns out the wire from the transducer to the display was loose over the engine and heat had melted the insulation. It would work for a bit and then short out.

It would be useful to follow the wire run and make sure nothing is wrong with it. (the wire)
Ron Churgin
Carter Brey
City Island, New York

Re: Datamarine depthsounder and knotmeter malfunction

Post by Carter Brey »

12Sail wrote:Instruments (separate) come on, and depthsounder goes thru its startup process, but then reads " - --". Knotmeter comes on, but reads "0.0". So i believe they are getting power, but to have both the transducer and the knotmeter wheel go at the same time seems odd. Thoughts?
If you can't find an obvious answer to your problem, contact DMI Marine:

http://www.dmimarine.com/

They repair and recondition the old Datamarine units. They got my malfunctioning depthsounder working like new.

Best regards,

Carter Brey
Sabre 28-II #532 "Delphine"
City Island, NY