Best Boat (deck) shoes??

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

henry hey
Location: Former owner: CD25 - 'Homeward Bound' hull #711. Now sailing with C. Brey aboard Sabre 28 Delphine

Best Boat (deck) shoes??

Post by henry hey »

Hey Folks,

It's been a while since I posted anything here. My Sperry technical shoes have pretty much run their course. I am contemplating going back to a traditional moc, but I wanted to see what folks here felt was the best (most comfortable yet best performing) shoe was.

Thanks!

-Henry Hey
Warren S

Cape Dory 270 Hull #5

Washington, NC

Light, durable, waterproof, non-marking

Post by Warren S »

Crocs!!
"Being hove to in a long gale is the most boring way of being terrified I know." -Donald Hamilton
jerryaxler

deck shoes

Post by jerryaxler »

Warren is right on the money for warm weather footware there is nothing like crocs. They even come in Cape Dory Brown.
Fairwinds and following seas,
Jerry Axler
henry hey
Location: Former owner: CD25 - 'Homeward Bound' hull #711. Now sailing with C. Brey aboard Sabre 28 Delphine

Crocs - getting slippery on the wet?

Post by henry hey »

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the thoughts on the Crocs. While I have heard that they are very comfortable, several sailing instructors that I spoke with noted that they loose quite a bit of their grip on wet surfaces and one instructor went on to cite them as actually unsafe on the wet.

What has been your experience?

-henry
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Boating Shoes

Post by Oswego John »

Hi Henry,

I favor Sperry Topsiders. I've been using them for many years without a complaint.

WestMarine is featuring them this week for around $79 and change.

I am the poster boy and the quintessential cheapskate. I usually wait until near the close of the boating season and buy them for less than $40.00. The trouble with that is most of the oddball sizes are out of stock by then.

Thou shalt covet thy feet, :)
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
jerryaxler

deck shoes

Post by jerryaxler »

Crocs are not slippery on wet decks, in fact I wear them as foul weather shoes in warm weather. I usually sail without shoes on at the helm, but have my crocs nearby to slip on in a hurry.
Fairwinds and following seas,
Jerry Axler
rtbates

Post by rtbates »

MERRILL water shoes ... Designed to provide traction on moss covered rocks. They breath, they drain, light as a feather.

Nothing better..
Randy 25D Seraph #161
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Keene Sandals, with a caveat

Post by Joe Myerson »

I really like my Keene sandals. However, while the soles grip well on slippery decks and are non-marking, the sides and tops of the toe pieces do leave black marks.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Klem

Post by Klem »

For cooler weather, skateboarding sneakers actually grip really well. Some would argue that they don't like the fashion statement that they make though.
bottomscraper

Not All Crocs Are Created Equal

Post by bottomscraper »

Not all Crocs are the same. The original ones were ok on wet
decks when new but a real train wreck when worn out. The current
series of "Ace Boating" are much better. The bottoms are more
like a regular boat shoe.

Rich ... who has worn out more than his fair share of Crocs.
Last edited by bottomscraper on Jun 9th, '11, 21:40, edited 1 time in total.
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
Jdpmus

shoes, etc.

Post by Jdpmus »

Coming back to sailing after a 25 year pause, I am disappointed in the Sperry products. My wife's Mocs were dyed on the outside and caused a rash only a dermatologist could fix. My current Largos (mesh uppers) are very poorly finished on the inside and are abrasive to the feet. The only way I can wear them is to line them with moleskin.

I have a 5 year old pair of Timberlands that I really like for the comfort, though they are hot in the Texas sun.

My two cents. YMMV
Ron M.

Post by Ron M. »

For years I've worn sperrys but agree the quality has suffered recently. I picked up a couple of pairs of mion currents at a sale and really like them. Very good non skid soles, extremely comfortable, and exceptionally weird looking. At my age style has no bearing.......comfort is key.
________
BrianaV
Last edited by Ron M. on Aug 14th, '11, 08:09, edited 1 time in total.
Carl Thunberg

Good Ol' Tennis Shoes

Post by Carl Thunberg »

Stan W. laughed at me for wearing tennis shoes on-board with (gasp) socks. But I'll tell you what. My feet are warm and I have plenty of grip. I've tried boat shoes and just don't like them. I only where them when there's a chance of stepping in water, like dinghy trips. I never did understand what people see in them. Under way, it's tennis shoes, or if conditions are wet, sailing boots. Perhaps if I did extended cruising like some of the other contributors to this topic, I'd feel differently. Most of my sailing is day-sailing.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Steve Laume

Re: Good Ol' Tennis Shoes

Post by Steve Laume »

Carl Thunberg wrote: I've tried boat shoes and just don't like them. I only where them when there's a chance of stepping in water, like dinghy trips. I never did understand what people see in them.
The best thing about boat mocks is that they are easy to kick off. They also give you that old salty sailor look that all the women really dig.

I have worn Topsiders for years. They are fine on the boat and maybe for walking on the dock. They are not so good for really long walks on boulders and cobbles. They definitly suck if you have to do several miles on the road.

I picked up a pair of hi tech boat shoes at Defender this spring. They are very comfortable and don't slop around on your feet. I will probably save them for the boat only and have not had any opportunity to test them as yet.

I generally go with mocs, sea boats and bare feet on the boat and in the dighy. I carry a pair of running shoes to shore for off boat activities, Steve.
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

Mocs, Sperry or otherwise are just too lose fitting for me. I like the snug fit of a lace up athletic type boat shoe so you don't need to worry about coming out of the shoe no matter what you are doing, working up front, jumping off on to a dock, etc. Actually during the summer, unless I'm docking or docked and going ashore, I'm barefoot. I think what I'm using now is a Sperry cross trainer type of shoe. Grip seem to be good wet or dry with a combination of tread patterns on different portions of the bottom.
Better to find humility before humility finds you.