Suggestions for non skid deck paint

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

mike ritenour

Suggestions for non skid deck paint

Post by mike ritenour »

What works best.
Thanks in advance,
Rit
Russell

Post by Russell »

As I said in another recent thread on this subject, if doing it all over again I would go with KiwiGrip, its simply wonderful stuff. The results I have seen from friends who have used it I would say by far it is the best thing out there. I would even say it might be better then factory molded in nonskid.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Bob B

Nonskid

Post by Bob B »

I recently painted some nonskid on my little CD 10 but I've done the same process on my Typhoon. I sand down to some surface that epoxy will stick to. Tape off the non-skid area. Then, apply a thin coat of epoxy to the area. Make sure it is evenly spread. A roller works best here. Sprinkle on the non-skid grit product and let it dry. Then, vaccum off the grit that didn't stick and paint with the paint that you want on the surface. I used interlux topsides over the epoxy and grit layer. It looks good and has been fairly durable as well as a good gripping surface.

Bob B.
CD Typhoon Liberty
CD 10 Patriot
Jim Davis
Edgewater, MD

Having used several

Post by Jim Davis »

I agree with Russell - Kiwi Grip.

My next choice is to mix grit in the paint and roll it on. If I were doing a dock or other large surface - sand sprinkled on.

It may just be me, but I'm not happy with Interdeck.
Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
Tim D.

KiwiGrip non-skid

Post by Tim D. »

Here is a shot of a recent KiwiGrip job I did on my Ty. Very easy to apply with great results

Kevin Kaldenbach
Location: Cape Dory 31 “Kerry Ann“. Currently in Corpus Christi TX and Typhoon Weekender “Wimpyâ€

Post by Kevin Kaldenbach »

I used interlux perfection along with their flattener and non-skid additives.
Kevin
CD 31 "Kerry Ann"
kaldenbach.us
mike ritenour

deck area estimates

Post by mike ritenour »

Anybody have a method for calculating the deck and cabin top area of a CD?
Thanks in advance,
Rit
2tocruise
Little Creek, VA
Currently in Annapolis, MD

kiwi-grip

Post by 2tocruise »

We used kiwi-grip. Easy to use and looks great. It's a pretty aggressive non-skid too. The beige color was a little light for our taste, so we took it Home Depot and had it tinted a bit darker. They were a little reluctant to do it at first, but OK after we talked to the manager and took all responsibility for the tinting, even if it didn't work.

I would say basic approximation using geometric shapes (cabin top is a rectangle, deck is a triangle + a couple of squares) would be good enough for figuring out how much paint to get. The difference due to curves is pretty much offset by the deck hardware in the way).

For our 28 we got a gallon of kiwi-grip, and only used about 2.5 quarts to do the entire deck and cockpit.
Twenty years from now, you will be more disapointed by the things you didn't do than by the things you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
- Mark Twain
Russell

Re: kiwi-grip

Post by Russell »

2tocruise wrote:We used kiwi-grip. Easy to use and looks great. It's a pretty aggressive non-skid too. The beige color was a little light for our taste, so we took it Home Depot and had it tinted a bit darker. They were a little reluctant to do it at first, but OK after we talked to the manager and took all responsibility for the tinting, even if it didn't work.
Actually, the tinting is one of the advantages to KiwiGrip, their website says specifically that any paint shop can tint it if you want a different color. You can also send KiwiGrip a paint chip/sample and they will make the color custom if for some reason you dont want to do it at home depot.
Russell
sfreihofer

Post by sfreihofer »

I second (or is that 'third', or 'fourth' or...) Kiwi Grip by Pachena. It is absolutely simple to apply, covers all kinds of 'oops' and seems to hold up well. It is also easy to touch-up.

This is one of those things I got lucky with in my project, and I WILL use it again, and recommend it also.

SFreihofer
1981 CD25 #794
Ft. Lauderdale
www.ReefRoof.com
Instant Bubble-head. Just add water.
drysuit2
Location: Segue, 1985 Cape Dory 26 Hull # 15 Port Washington NY

Kiwi Grip by Pachena

Post by drysuit2 »

Do I have to buy it through the website in NZ?
Or is it available at WestMarine?
Trying to avoid mail charges.
Brian2

Epifanes

Post by Brian2 »

I used Epifanes non skid piant on our CD 28 and am very pleased with the results. It is not bumpy, but is rubbery grippy when wet, which I like better than just a textured non skid. Much easier on the feet, and much easier to wash. (Sort of similar to the old West Marine rubberized non skid that I can't find anymore.)

I mixed a quart of gray with a quart of white. I found the gray by itself too dark as it gets quite warm in the sun, but mixed 50/50 with white lightens the color. Also, you could tint the white to whatever color you like.

I rolled it on with a mini roller. Incredibly easy to apply. Stir and roll. 3 coats for good coverage.

http://store.hamiltonmarine.com/browse. ... ,3439.html
Russell

Re: Kiwi Grip by Pachena

Post by Russell »

drysuit2 wrote:Do I have to buy it through the website in NZ?
Or is it available at WestMarine?
Trying to avoid mail charges.
I beleive Jamestown Distributors sells it.
Russell
Tim D.

Kiwi Grip source

Post by Tim D. »

S/V Necessity
Columbia, MO

Kiwi Grip Source

Post by S/V Necessity »

We bought ours from this source:

http://www.pachena.com/

I think he was the original importer of it to the U.S. The owner was great to do business with, and very helpful and seemed like an all around great guy. We were very impressed by the product.

I would encourage anyone using this product to experiment a bit first. It is easy to get a wide range of textures, by varying pressure and the amount of product being applied. We used a notched trowel to regulate the amount of product being applied. *ALSO* take the masking tape off while the product is wet, don't wait for it to start curing.

One curious aspect of this product. It dries first (within a few hours) but it's mechanism of adhesion is separate from the process of drying. So when it's first dry, it's still not yet fully bonded.