Included with your CDSOA membership cards...

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

M. R. Bober

Included with your CDSOA membership cards...

Post by M. R. Bober »

...was a ballot to change the bylaws of CDSOA. You may have overlooked it.

You may either return the ballot or vote on-line.

For the record: I have voted against loosening the requirement that one must own a Cape Dory to be a voting member of the Association. We don't--IMHO--need the money that badly.

Associate membership is adequate for non-owners, again IMHO.

Anyway, don't forget to vote, especially those of you who agree with me. :wink:

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Lancaster, (where Cape Dory owners own Cape Dorys) VA
CDSOA Founding Member
joelcunningham
Keyport, NJ

No ballot

Post by joelcunningham »

No ballot came with my membership. How does one vote online?
Don S

Another take on the ballot question

Post by Don S »

Consider the scenario, related by another CDSOA member, of an active Fleet Captain who loses his boat to a hurricane. Should he be deemed ineligible to vote or hold office, and therefore be removed from office?

Since officers are chosen by the membership,I would prefer to have the option to ask any qualified member to hold (or continue in) office.

Don Schwarzkopf
barfwinkle

FYI

Post by barfwinkle »

Just to ensure everyone knows

ONLY "Voting Members" will have received a ballot! I am aware Cpt Cunningham is a voting member.

Fair Winds
Bill Member #250.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Included with your CDSOA membership cards...

Post by Neil Gordon »

M. R. Bober wrote: We don't--IMHO--need the money that badly.
Just to be clear, Associate Members and [real] Members pay the same, either way.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
bhartley
CD25D #184 "Pyxis"

CDSOA Member #785

Where's My Ballot/Membership Card? (The answer lies within)

Post by bhartley »

If you don't have a Cape Dory sail boat on record with your current paid membership, you did not receive a ballot. You received the same letter all Associate Members received -- along with a notation that *IF* you are marked as an Associate Member in error, to please let me know.

I already have been contacted by several people who provided their updated information.

**PLEASE NOTE**

The California Cape Dory "Registry of Boats" is NOT the CDSOA's list or site. Anyone can enter their information there. It does not make you a CDSOA member and I do not monitor the information to update your member record.

I have emailed every member at least one copy of their complete record on file along with the basic information being included on the membership letter that went out on Monday. Please look at it!

If the boat section is blank (or incorrect), please email me with the correct information. I tried to insure that all members of any ilk received the appropriate mailing with the information I have on file. Sadly, my psychic abilities are pretty crummy. I do respond very well to email! (you can even use the little button below this message). If you would like a copy of your current Member Information Sheet or additional membership cards, I'm just a click away.

Your Faithful Membership Chair,

Bly Hartley
ckreitlein

Memberhship Chair

Post by ckreitlein »

I paid my dues and got my card in the mail, along with the ballot. Good job, Bly. Please, keep up the good work!
aja

Leave the by laws alone

Post by aja »

I agree with you Mitch
Last edited by aja on Apr 16th, '11, 09:05, edited 1 time in total.
s/v aja
1977 cd25 #530
Fairhaven, MA

NE Fleet Member since 2002
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

Didn't realize a ballot was attached. Just sent it in. I'm for both proposals. Not surprising, I'm halfway to a power boat as it is.
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
Bob Ohler

Membership Renewal

Post by Bob Ohler »

When the CDSOA Board realizes just how divisive this issue is, and when they realize this is exactly why we already have Associate Membership, I will then renew my membership in the CDSOA. Until then, I will simply be a "past member" and "Past Commodore." To be clear... this is exactly why I let my membership lapse this year.

Fair winds,

Bob O.

From the shores of the Chesapeake Bay where "CDSOA" stands for Cape Dory Sailboat Owners Association
Bob Ohler
CDSOA Member #188
CD30B, Hull # 335
sv Aloha Spirit
Steve Kuhar
Pensacola, Fl.

Post by Steve Kuhar »

Bob,

I fail to see how asking the membership to vote on an issue and then respecting the outcome of that vote can be divisive. While I am in favor of the amendments I, and I believe the entire Board, will continue to support the organization regardless of what is decided by the members.

P.S. I will not be able to respond on the website for the next 10 days or so. Winds are north at 10 to 15, temperature is mid 70s, there is a full moon, and we are provisioned for a week. It looks like a beam reach all the way to Carabelle. The quarterberth is still available for any Cape Dorian, member, associate member, or powerboater, down here on the Gulf Coast we really don't care, but you better act quick, we are singled up and leaving on the next tide.

Steve Kuhar
Vice Commodore, CDSOA
Ed Haley

Board Actions

Post by Ed Haley »

I can't remember when I've seen a more responsible approach to an issue than what the present CDSOA Board of Directors has pursued. They have honestly and respectfully discussed the amendments and then presented them to the whole membership for their say. In the past, these issues would never have been presented to the membership since they would have been decided by some board members and that would be the end of it.

I'm am impressed by this board. They truly are acting in the best interests of all CDSOA members. Hats off to them.
jepomer

From the CDSOAA Bylaws

Post by jepomer »

ARTICLE 2 – PURPOSE
The purpose of CDSOA, Inc., is to advance the sport of yachting and the individual and family enjoyment thereof; to promote the educational and technical interests of the membership; and to enhance social enjoyment and good fellowship among owners of Cape Dory and Robinhood sail and power boats.

(Purpose is stated to bring owners of Cape Dory and Robinhood boats, BOTH sail and power, together. Article 3 presently excludes Cape Dory power boat owners from full membership.)

Amendment 1:
Voting membership, as defined by Article 3 of the By-Laws is hereby extended to include current members of powerboats that were manufactured, marketed, and defined by Cape Dory Yachts Inc. as Cape Dory powerboats.

(Amendment 1 removes the Cape Dory powerboat specific exclusion.)

Amendment 2:
Voting membership, as defined by Article 3 of the By-Laws, is hereby extended to include voting members in good standing, who no longer meet the ownership requirement, providing that they continue an uninterrupted and timely payment of annual dues.

(Amendment 2 allows those individuals who met the ownership requirements when becoming full members to maintain full membership if they no longer own their Cape Dory but show evidence of continued interest by being current with dues.)

---

As a new member, I will be voting for both of these amendments.

The first amendment completes the initially stated purpose of the organization which explicitly included the powerboats. If the original purpose explicitly stated "sailboats only", the amendment would be viewed as changing the purpose of the organization.

The second amendment allows for those individuals who are "between Cape Dory" boat ownership to continue to be actively involved. If a member losses a Cape Dory due to weather, accident, etc. it is not very easy to quickly replace it even if one has the money on hand. There are only so many of each model that were built. Someone might have sold (or had to sell) their Cape Dory but still can provide valuable information and/or support to other members.

I, as a new Cape Dory member, welcome the support and direction from these people. I do favor INCLUSION over EXCLUSION if the organization's purpose is to "to advance the sport of yachting and the individual and family enjoyment thereof; to promote the educational and technical interests of the membership; and to enhance social enjoyment and good fellowship among owners of Cape Dory and Robinhood sail and power boats."
John
CD25 #622
CPDE0622M78E

"You are not going to find the ideal boat. You are not even going to have it if you design it from scratch."
~ Carl Lane
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Re: If you didn't get a ballot.....

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

We just got our CDSOA membership cards a day ago. If you just received your card, it shouldn't have been the only thing in that envelope. There should have been 2 sheets of 8 1/2 x 11" paper. One sheet contains a letter from Bly Hartley on one side and the "By-Law Amendment Consideration" on the other. The second sheet contains the ballot. If you want to vote electronically, simply email you vote to the CDSOA Secretary.

NOTE: You must be a CDSOA member to vote. AND, you must be a VOTING member. (Don't foget, right now Associate Members may not vote. So if you're not a voting member, you will not have received a ballot.) If you didn't receive your new membership card with the letter and ballot just a day or two ago, it may still be in the mail. Or, are you a current member? So, if you did remember to renew your membership (pay your dues) for 2011 and you're a voting member, if your new membership card and ballot don't show up in the next few days, contact the CDSOA Membership Chairperson. [You'll find contact info for all CDSOA Officers on our "Contact Us" page.]

-Cathy
Webmaster - CDSOA, Inc.
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
joelcunningham
Keyport, NJ

CDSLA

Post by joelcunningham »

New member voting Yes and Yes. Hey! I need all the friends I can get :D Maybe we could change our name to CDSLA. L is for lovers. :) Haven't I seen bumper stickers that say "Virginia is for lovers" :?: