PRIATES KILL 4 AMERICANS ON YACHT 'QUEST'

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Alan Holman
Location: As of 10/11/09 the proud new owner of Solo Noi(renaming scheduled for summer 2010)

PRIATES KILL 4 AMERICANS ON YACHT 'QUEST'

Post by Alan Holman »

CBC, CDN BROADCASTING CORP, IS REPORTING 4 AMERICANS WERE KILLED ON THEIR YACHT 'QUEST' BY SOMALI PIRATES. YACHT WAS BEING SHADOW BY 4 US NAVAL VESSELS AT THE TIME. NAVAL PERSONNEL BOARDED THE YACHT AFTER GUN SHOTS WERE HEARD ON BOARD.
Sometimes your vessel's becalmed for days and weeks on end,
Sometimes the winds of life will blow you off your course, my friend,
But the wind is sure to veer, you must stay aboard and steer,
And long may your big jib draw!
GeorgeH
s/v Spartina
Setauket Harbor, NY

Time for the sailing community to take a stand

Post by GeorgeH »

With the sad news of the death of four american recreational sailors killed by Somali pirates, its time for the sailing community to speak out against the continued highjackings of tankers and yachts off the coast of Aden and the Indian Ocean.

It is insanity for nations and shipping companies, and the sailing community, to placate and pay hostage to the pirates.

Does anyone know of a group that is lobbying for action against the pirates of Somalia? It seems to me that maritime companies too easily agree to pay the ransom, almost as a cost of business, instead of organizing for a solution. I will be contacting my congress person to urge action on this increasing problem.
Bob Brown

Post by Bob Brown »

Let us know if you find a group lobbying to change this dangerous area of the world.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to the families and friends of the deceased.
Tom Keevil

Action?

Post by Tom Keevil »

This is the free market at work. Clearly the shipping companies have concluded that it is cheaper to buy insurance against piracy than to invest in protection for all of their ships. Safety for yachts is not part of the calculation.

In the absence of a functional Somali government, what "action" would you like to see? There are already naval ships from some two dozen countries operating in the area, but the coastline must be 1500 miles long. Could piracy be stopped from Maine to South Carolina without any government or any land-based police or army? Our recent "actions" in the middle east haven't turned out all that well, and who do you propose should pay for all this?

I expect that there is not a lot of public support for spending vast sums to protect a few folks with enough time and money to sail around the world on a yacht. International travel has associated risks, and you need to consider those in planning your adventure.

There is a positive side to this piracy for the locals. In addition to the income, their fish stocks have rebounded with the cessation of illegal international trawlers operating off their coast, and the illegal international dumping of toxic waste off their coast has also ceased.

I'm not supporting piracy or murder, but just suggesting that this is a rather complex situation that is not easily solved by "taking action." I'd rather my congressman spent his time on something more easily fixed, such as the US economy, the tax code, global warming, etc. Piracy will end when Somalia has an effective government and a decent economy. I don't think our Congress is going to achieve that.

Tom Keevil
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Re: Action?

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

Tom Keevil wrote:This is the free market at work. Clearly the shipping companies have concluded that it is cheaper to buy insurance against piracy than to invest in protection for all of their ships. Safety for yachts is not part of the calculation.

In the absence of a functional Somali government, what "action" would you like to see? There are already naval ships from some two dozen countries operating in the area, but the coastline must be 1500 miles long. Could piracy be stopped from Maine to South Carolina without any government or any land-based police or army? Our recent "actions" in the middle east haven't turned out all that well, and who do you propose should pay for all this?

I expect that there is not a lot of public support for spending vast sums to protect a few folks with enough time and money to sail around the world on a yacht. International travel has associated risks, and you need to consider those in planning your adventure.

There is a positive side to this piracy for the locals. In addition to the income, their fish stocks have rebounded with the cessation of illegal international trawlers operating off their coast, and the illegal international dumping of toxic waste off their coast has also ceased.

I'm not supporting piracy or murder, but just suggesting that this is a rather complex situation that is not easily solved by "taking action." I'd rather my congressman spent his time on something more easily fixed, such as the US economy, the tax code, global warming, etc. Piracy will end when Somalia has an effective government and a decent economy. I don't think our Congress is going to achieve that.

Tom Keevil
I pretty much agree with your perspective. I guessing that the shipping and oil companies make their own decisions about the costs / benefits of protection.

Personally I have no interest in any of my tax dollars going to pay for protection for someone that chooses to sail in remote parts of the world. Its one thing if an entire cruise ship were to be hijacked, another when it it is a a single ship. I'd expect that if a US navy vessel were in the vicinity to help but not for the navy to dispatch an air craft carrier to the area. When an individual chooses to take risks they need to accept the cost and consequences of that choice.
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
rtbates

Post by rtbates »

Why would anyone voluntarily go anywhere near that dung heap part of the world?
Randy 25D Seraph #161
mahalocd36

Post by mahalocd36 »

When an individual chooses to take risks they need to accept the cost and consequences of that choice.
Totally agree, and ditto Randy. My sympathies go out to the families, and it certainly is a terrible tragedy, but, sadly, one that could be prevented. It's not like this isn't a known problem.
Kinda of like why I don't take a hiking trip in the hills of Afghanistan.
Melissa Abato
www.sailmahalo.com
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

The following are the rambling muses of a tadpole sailor stuck in between Cape Dory sailboat ownership. :(

I am somewhat surprised by the responses of sailors to these acts of piracy. Apparently, many seem to think we need to enact "piracy legislation" or they ask "why are these sailors sailing into harm's way?"

At my age, and with my family obligations, I have no strong desire to voluntarily place myself in harm's way in some of the most dangerous lands or waters in the world. Been there; done that. However, law-abiding citizens of any nation have a right to travel unmolested on the high seas. While I am not an expert in circumnavigation, it looks to me like the Gulf of Aden and its surrounding international waters (Indian Ocean and Arabian Sea) are a logical access point for travel to the Red Sea and the Med.

These Somali pirates are violating international laws as well as, and more importantly for the families of the S/V Quest, existing United States law.

In the United States, criminal prosecution of piracy is authorized in the U.S. Constitution, Article I, Section 8, Clause 10:

The Congress shall have Power . . . To define and punish Piracies and Felonies committed on the high Seas, and Offences against the Law of Nations;

Title 18, United States Criminal Code, Section 1651 states:

Whoever, on the high seas, commits the crime of piracy as defined by the law of nations, and is afterwards brought into or found in the United States, shall be imprisoned for life.

This criminal statute has been on the books in one form or another since at least 1909 :!:

The only thing that needs to be changed is the penalty. Life in prison needs to be changed to the death penalty if a United States Citizen is taken hostage, harmed or killed.

One of the captured Somali pirates involved in the M/S Maersk Alabama hijacking in 2009 was recently sentenced to 34 years in a US prison. One of the cable news programs showed him handcuffed and smiling after being sentenced. Of course he was smiling. He was just told that he will get 3 hot meals a day and a warm, clean bed to sleep in every night and if he is sick he will get excellent medical care. Compared to his previous prospects in Somalia, he hit the lottery.

It may sound cruel and heartless to some but until the United States and all other civilized nations begin imposing extreme measures and sanctions these acts of piracy will continue. How many Somali pirates will put to sea if they are told (with words followed by deeds) that if an American flag vessel (commercial or recreational) is boarded by pirates they will be hunted down, boarded and, if they resist, killed :?: If they somehow manage to make it to shore, they will be hunted down by US Marines (to rescue American citizens) and, if they resist, they will be killed where they are found. If American sailors on board are killed that is very unfortunate but it is the price that must be paid initially. Once these Somali pirates realize there is no financial reward to capturing American flag vessels (or the vessel of any other “we will board you and kill youâ€
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
GeorgeH
s/v Spartina
Setauket Harbor, NY

End piracy

Post by GeorgeH »

I initially offered my two cents on the deaths of the 4 American sailors hoping some may share a concern for the right of free passage on the seas, no matter where located (by the way, the Gulf of Aden and the Indian Sea are not isolated and obscure bodies of water, and are very hard to avoid if someone wants to traverse the globe).

Because this is a website focusing on Cape Dory sailboats and issues on sailing I won’t elaborate further on the foreign policy issues raised by my fellow bloggers. Suffice it to say that currently there are 33 ships held by the pirates with over 700 seamen held captive for ransom.

I hope all people of goodwill, especially those of us who enjoy the freedom of the sea would condemn piracy and want to see it ended.
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Post by Oswego John »

...to the shores of Tripoli...

oorah
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
rorik

Post by rorik »

Somalia and their piracy.... we barely have a functioning government here in the USA. And our economy is in even worse shape. What makes anyone think we could institute a functioning government and economy halfway around the world in a country with a completely different history and culture?
I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request. Means no.
jerryaxler

Piracy

Post by jerryaxler »

We are turning the report of a very tragic event into political discourse. There may be areas on the internet where that is appropriate, but this site should not be one of them. I know we are all suffering from cabin fever, but let's keep this about something we know about which is our CD's.
Fairwinds and following seas,
Jerry Axler
Joe CD MS 300

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

Sea Hunt wrote:The following are the rambling muses of a tadpole sailor stuck in between Cape Dory sailboat ownership. :(

I am somewhat surprised by the responses of sailors to these acts of piracy. Apparently, many seem to think we need to enact "piracy legislation" or they ask "why are these sailors sailing into harm's way?"

At my age, and with my family obligations, I have no strong desire to voluntarily place myself in harm's way in some of the most dangerous lands or waters in the world. Been there; done that. However, law-abiding citizens of any nation have a right to travel unmolested on the high seas. While I am not an expert in circumnavigation, it looks to me like the Gulf of Aden and its surrounding international waters (Indian Ocean and Arabian Sea) are a logical access point for travel to the Red Sea and the Med.

These Somali pirates are violating international laws as well as, and more importantly for the families of the S/V Quest, existing United States law.

In the United States, criminal prosecution of piracy is authorized in the U.S. Constitution, Article I, Section 8, Clause 10:

The Congress shall have Power . . . To define and punish Piracies and Felonies committed on the high Seas, and Offences against the Law of Nations;

Title 18, United States Criminal Code, Section 1651 states:

Whoever, on the high seas, commits the crime of piracy as defined by the law of nations, and is afterwards brought into or found in the United States, shall be imprisoned for life.

This criminal statute has been on the books in one form or another since at least 1909 :!

I have no desire to sail around the world. Biscayne Bay, the Florida Keys and Bahamas are my modest goals. However, I envy those who do sail the worlds oceans regardless of their citizenship. They should all be able to do so free of fear of capture, imprisonment and death simply for sailing or transiting in international waters.
I don't think anyone is disputing that it is is a crime. The question is how will enforcing the laws be paid for and who will pay for it. Not me I hope. I'd rather spend those dollars beefing up the Coast Guard and protecting our own coast. It world be nice if anyone could sail around the world in total safety from crime but unfortunately you can't and I think it is unreasonable for someone taking off to sail around the world to expect that Uncle Sam will be hovering over their shoulder and protecting them the whole way. Being able to own a sailboat is a great luxury to a lot of people around the world. I feel more sympathy for the young children you are forced in to armies at a young age or who have had their limbs hacked off off in some of the ethnic disputes in that area of the world.
Joe CD MS 300

Re: Piracy

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

jerryaxler wrote:We are turning the report of a very tragic event into political discourse. There may be areas on the internet where that is appropriate, but this site should not be one of them. I know we are all suffering from cabin fever, but let's keep this about something we know about which is our CD's.
I don't think this discussion is any more political than for example discussing whether the Loran system should be continued. Piracy clearly is an issue that should be considered if someone is planning on taking off to sail around the world. Would actually like to hear from Fred or someone else who has done it.

This board has been a little boring of late and INHO could use a little stimulating conversation. I think everything has been pretty civil.
jerryaxler

piracy

Post by jerryaxler »

rorik wrote:Somalia and their piracy.... we barely have a functioning government here in the USA. And our economy is in even worse shape. What makes anyone think we could institute a functioning government and economy halfway around the world in a country with a completely different history and culture?
We barely have a functioning government is a statement of fact or a political comment. Our economy is in worse shape than where Somalia? Is that a statement of fact or a political comment. It might be a good idea to discuss something with which we have some idea of the complexity of a situation, like rotating props. I stand by my original statement that we should be discussing boats,sailing and friends before allowing this board deteriorate to a political discussion in which we all know our point of view is the only true point of view.
Fairwinds and following seas,
Jerry Axler