spreader base

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

JBA

spreader base

Post by JBA »

Hello all:

The spreader bases on my TY are welded at a right angle to the mast. How can I get the bi-section of the shroud without bending something? I checked the archives but could not find this specific issue addressed.

Thanks,
JBA
Bill Goldsmith

Post by Bill Goldsmith »

Do the bases hold your spreaders rigidly at the right angle? My spreader bases are also at right angles, but there is enough play in the way the spreader fits in the socket, that I can angle them upward just a bit.
JBA

Post by JBA »

The inboard end of the spreader fits very tightly on the welded inboard stem. Nothing moves.

JBA
Carl Thunberg

Try a little emory cloth

Post by Carl Thunberg »

There's supposed to be some slack where the spreader bar fits into the socket, like Bill said. Is there some crud in the socket? Alternatively, you could try a little emory cloth on the spreader bar itself. It should not be a tight fit.

In structural engineering terms, this is intended to be a "pin-connection" that is incapable of transferring any bending moment to the socket. If it becomes a "fixed" connection, then you're probably going to bend your spreader bar. The spreader bar is supposed to be a compression member only. I hope this is helpful.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton