Typhoon Instrument Location

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Joe M
Location: 1984 CD Typhoon "Itilldoo" & CD10 No.315 Cape May, NJ

Post by Joe M »

Happy Holidays...when sailing I've always kept a shortened bottom drop board in the companionway to keep errant waves out of the cabin. I use a teak board that's only about 6 inches tall. I was thinking of mounting my compass and depthsounder gauge in the drop board with a coiled wiring lead that would allow the board to be removed and stored on the starboard quarter bunk when not in-use. I'm not real keen on mounting instruments in the aft cabin bulkhead or the cockpit seat risers. These locations are always blocked from view by bodies and legs. Any thoughts?

Joe
www.joemilliganartist.com
Last edited by Joe M on Dec 23rd, '10, 08:53, edited 1 time in total.
Markst95
Location: 1972 Typhoon Weekender "SWIFT" Hull #289 Narragansett Bay, RI

Post by Markst95 »

I made up a separate bottom companionway board out of mahogany and mounted a compass in it. It works well but makes it a little more difficult if you have to get into the cabin for something. Having it the same size as an original board allows me to "batten down the hatches" but still have the compass out.

[img]http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo99 ... onsole.jpg[/img]
Troy Scott

electronics in a small sailboat

Post by Troy Scott »

Joe,

That sounds like a good idea. Will it be easy to step over the board? You might want to use some appropriate connectors to make it easy to stow. Another approach some folks use is to build a swing-out electronics panel that can come into view in the companionway as needed and otherwise fold out of the way, all without disconnecting anything.
Regards,
Troy Scott
Ned Crockett
Location: 1972 CD Typhoon Weekender #315, LADYBUG, Irvington, Va.

Ty Instrument Location

Post by Ned Crockett »

Hi Joe:

Awhile back I (actually, my son) posted pictures of Ladybug including a wooden instrument panel I made and attached under the companionway top to the wood support. It is recessed enough to clear the boards. On the panel I installed a depth finder (small Uniden), GPS, and digital count down timer for racing. I don't use the GPS but can easily attach (velcro) it if needed. I also purchased and installed a fused electric panel for the depth finder, stereo, and running lights. These are run off of a smallish automobile battery mounted and secured between the scupper hoses under the cockpit. I charge the battery about once a month during racing season. The electric panel has a meter indicating battery charge.

I am not computer savvy enough to attach the photos to this reply but you can pull them up by going to my past posts and opening "Ladybug Updates". The depth finder works great even though the transponder is "on hull", not "thru hull" (no drilling). Also, by installing the panel where I did, it is protected from spray and somewhat protected from rain. In either case, I just put in the two lower boards and slide the top closed. The compass is mounted on top of the companionway top.

Good luck with your project and Happy Holidays.

Ned
"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust our sails."
Duncan
Montreal, QC

Ned, here are the "Ladybug Updates"

Post by Duncan »

I'm posting these for the convenience of others who won't need to search if they follow this LINK.

It looks like an innovative and practical installation.
Joe M
Location: 1984 CD Typhoon "Itilldoo" & CD10 No.315 Cape May, NJ

Post by Joe M »

Thanks for the suggestions and photos....great ideas. Not sure if I'll go with the tripping hazard or head knocker solution....They both have advantages and disadvantages....such is life on a small boat. Have a great Christmas!