Furling Main Sails?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Russell

Re: Furling Main Sails?

Post by Russell »

JohnB wrote:Hello,

There are two CD36's listed on YW with roller mains.
One is in the boom and one is in the mast.

The purest in me says be wary of yet another "system"
The aging sailor in me says that might be a darn nice addition.

The boom system seems like a good choice because the system is close at hand and reefing is more traditional.

Just thinking out loud -

John
Certainly for safety a boom furler is preferable, since you can still drop the main like you would a normal setup, should something bad happen. The downside to them is they are a real bitch to raise, most boats I have met who are happy with their boom furlers have an electric winch, but those are also larger boats generally then a CD36.

In mast furlers have more downsides, more weight aloft, a jam means you can just drop the sail, you HAVE to fix the jam, loose foot and no battons is the only option. Though that said I have sailed several boats with in mast furlers and I have to admit they are awfully handy. For coastal or inland cruising I do not think I would hesitate at all to use one of the modern systems (the old systems are garbage though). Offshore passage making, its temping, but too much of a risk still I think.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

CD MS 300's came stock with in mast furling.I bought the boat with a new main in process. There is a geared winch on the mast that turns the rod in the mast that furls the sail. Ideally all you should nee to unfurl is the out haul and the continuous furling line which runs to the winch to furl. However, it was pain to furl and unfurl at times when the sail was new but as the sail has gotten softer it has gotten better although it still need help at times with the winch. I have no experience boom furling other than on one charter in the BVI's. If starting from scratch I would definitely go with a boom system for the reasons Russell mentioned.
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
BillyO

On mast furling

Post by BillyO »

A couple of weeks ago I had the opportunity to sail with a friend, age 76, on his Bristol 29.9. with in mast furling.
It was a wonderful experience. We were sailing wth what amounted to a tripple reef.
The boat was really behaving well.
The possibilities For an unlimited amount of reefing and the ease of it were great.