Curtain Cleaning

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Paul57

Curtain Cleaning

Post by Paul57 »

We have just purchased a CD 25D with original curtains, which are in great condition, but appear to have never been cleaned. The dry cleaners won't touch them. Does anyone know how we can clean them ourselves without damaging them?
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Mine didn't have any curtains!

Post by Joe Myerson »

n/m
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
trapper
CD25D, Lake Murray SC

Curtains

Post by trapper »

Congrats on your new 25D. Mine had curtains but they were in really bad shape--extremely dirty and moldy. I washed them. Then they were in really horrible shape. I may have been able to save them had I not washed them in the washing machine. I don't know--its done now.

If I had nice ones, I would probably try woolite by hand or maybe Tough Stuff.

My cushions were very moldy, too. I did not have a lot of confidence that they would be usable. I cleaned them with Tuff Stuff (purchased at auto stores and sometimes at dollar general). My cushions came out great--almost like new. I wish I had been kinder to the curtains. At the time, I thought they were a total loss. I may have been wrong.

All the best with your new boat. Fran.
TheSandPebbles
CD31 #18
Charleston, SC

Mildew magnets

Post by TheSandPebbles »

I machine washed mine when I bought the boat, and a couple were damaged in this way. I'd suggest hand-washing. Just last week I removed all but 3 of them (in the v-berth and head) and threw them away. I'm in Grenada and they were pretty useless; it's so hot here you always want the portholes open, and the curtains can't close when the porthole's open anyway. Plus they were permanently damaged by mildew stains.
S/V ALEXANDRA
CD31 #18
Charleston, SC
"Tough, Rugged, and Happy"
http://sailingexpeditionalexandra.blogspot.com/
BillyO

Curtains cleaned

Post by BillyO »

This topic is the reason for our domestic help. The Butler usually has a solution.